Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doin some searching i couldn't find a clear answer. so i have a couple questions to those who have cam gears. did you ever replace the idler pulley or timing belt tensioner when you put in your cam gears? (was it hard to replace?) cuz my car has a lil over 100k miles and i figured it would be good to replce these things while im workin on the engine and 2nd after i get the gears in whats a good rule of thumb for adjusting them so i can save some time on the dyno.

·
Registered
388 Posts
the idler pulley and timing belt aren't connected to the cam gears. They are seperate belts and drives. Also, if your car has 100k on it I would suggest changing the cam gear belt as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would suggest you change the tensioner, idler pulley and the belt while you have it apart. Most people just set the gears at 0, 0 until they can get on a dyno and get em tuned.

There is a tensioner on the serpintine belt and the timing belt jonfrow...and how do you get that the timing belt isn't connected to the cam gears??? thats what drives them.

·
Registered
388 Posts
sorry, I meant to only say that the serpentine belt isn't attached to the cam gears. doh

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i was going to try to replace what i could on that side of the enigine. there is a tensioner and a guide pulley on the timing belt side. what would be a good direction to start from when i get on the dyno +/-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts