Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
TEAM Sponsor
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Nitrous Works Wet kit from a friend. I hooked it all up and it runs good. My questions is....Should i set the fuel jet to the 38 or 50 fuel pressure? I have it set to 38 now, but i was wondering if i was putting too much fuel in. I wanted to fun safe
. Thanx.

Forgot to mention....i get a slight bog when the WOT switch comes on....maybe too much fuel?

Clint

·
Registered
657 Posts
do you have a fuel press. cutoff switch??? if so that is your prob. i know that the one that comes with the nx wet kit does not adj. down far enough so you cant use it unless you up the pressure...mine would cut off with the 50's and up...try that 1st....ROLL ON

BTW...if your giving it too much fuel it wont do anything,it will "drownd" out the n2o...so it will act like reg power...

·
Registered
990 Posts
The hobbs switch isn't in the car yet. He's talking about the jets in the fuel side of the nozzle.

·
Registered
944 Posts
it's best to go with the recommended jets rather than changing them to experiment and whatnot. i'm sure that your kit had a paper with it that told you what jets to use for which shot? go with that and then take your car to a dyno and see if you need to change anything.

my hobbs switch worked fine with the 35-75 shot that i ran, i just had to turn it down from the factory setting it was at.

just my $.02

·
TEAM Sponsor
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The kit recommended two jets for two different fuel pressures. My question was....should i set it for 38psi fuel or 50 psi fuel?

Or maybe just someone using and NX or NOS kit can tell me the size jets they are using on both sides?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've never heard going off fuel pressure you need to go with different size jets for the size shot your running because you can't run one fuel jet for different size shots because your always going to be too rich or to lean. And if thats all you got "get a new kit" or buy some pistons ahead of time.

·
Registered
944 Posts
you don't really adjust fuel pressure at all with your jet sizes. you change the amount of fuel going into the intake. someone post what jet sizes they are using for a nitrous works kit so this man knows what to use.

·
Registered
222 Posts
On a side note, I have a question for ya Lil'playa...How should a 65shot spray "feel"...That's what I'm currently running till I get cooler plugs but I don't feel "rush" when I floor it...In all fairness I haven't bee able to get a full bottle...These places around here suck and always seem to be out of nitrous...The most I've had in the bottle is 8 pounds or so...what ya think?

·
Registered
60 Posts
WELL HERE IS MY THOUGHT ON IT I RUN THE SAME KIT ON MY CAR AND I USE AUTOLITE 5144 PLUGS.I ALWAYS USE THE HIGH SIDE ON FUEL I.E. 50 PSI. FUEL SIDE I NEVER HAVE HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH DETONATION OR ANYTHING ELSE.I WOULD USE THE HIGH SIDE AND SACERFICE A COUPLE HORSES SO YOU DONT LEAN IT OUT. HAVE YOU EVERY HEARD OF SOMEONE BLOWING A MOTOR FOR BEING TO RICH. YEAH ME EITHER. OH AND IF YOU ARE RUNNING ANY NITROIOUS SYSTEM AND NEVER HEARD OF USING FUEL PRESS. YOU ARE WRONG
BECAUSE EVERY EFI KIT SPECIFIES THE USE OF YOUR FUEL JETS SHOULD BE IAW FUEL PRESS. OH AND ONE MORE THING I AM NOT SURE WHAT FOGGER YOU ARE USING BUT THAT BOOGED DOWN FEELING USUALLY DOES MEAN TO TO MUCH FUEL SO IT COULD BE ONE OF TO THINGS I HAVE SEEN ON OTHER CARS THE FOGGER IS BACKWARDS AND THIS CAUSES IMPROPER MIXTURE.ALSO YOUR SELINOID COULD HAVE A SLIVER OF SOMETHING CAUSING YOUR FUEL SELINOID TO STICK OPEN A HAIR,OR THE NITROIOUS SELINOID MAY NOT BE OPENING ALL THE WAY.THIS KIND OF STUFF HAPPENS SO YOU SHOULD CHECK THEM EVERY SO OFTEN PREVENATIVE MAINTENANCE. HOPE THIS HELPS IF NOT I WILL FIND YOU MORE HELP I WILL ASK THE NITROIOUS TECH AT THE SHOP LET ME KNOW.

·
Registered
944 Posts
oh my, i just got a headache reading that...

i couldn't imagine myself ever saying this til now... please use the word NOS instead of nitroious:D
Blowing a motor is not the only thing that can happen when running nitrous, using too much fuel can be as bad for the motor as not using enough.

i had an nx kit but most of the same stuff still applies here...

as for how it feels running a 65 shot, it feels like you're driving a whole different car. It's noticeable to say the least.

I would definately get some different plugs, the one thing i agree on with the above post is the autolite 5144 plugs, i used them and you can buy 4 of them for about $4. i always kept another set in my car just incase i needed it.

As for not having the bottle full, your best bet would be to get a bottle heater if nothing else, you can get a lot of nitrous out of a bottle even if it's almost empty. can't do that without a heater.

with a 50 shot and a bottle heater i ran 22 times down the 1/4 mile track here at firebird raceway in one night. after that the times started to fall off pretty badly, bet you couldn't get half that many without a heater.

lack of a heater and/or full bottle would cause you to not feel it as much, but you could very well have the wrong jets in the nozzle.

what jets are you running right now, nitrous and fuel?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm using the suggested ones...I'll check them and let you know...It's just that When I ran the 55shot, I didn't really feel a HUGE difference...then I uped to 65 and still didn't feel much...My friend was like, that's it, you're spraying...
but I don't think my bottle was very full at all when I did the 65...I'm filling it up tomorrow and putting in the autolite plugs and I'm gonna go up to the 75 shot...I'll let you know what I feel...any more info is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
944 Posts
best info i can give you: be careful with the 75 shot.
get a window switch. check your plugs after every run when you're first starting out, that way you know what's goin on in your cylinders when you're spraying. there are some threads that can tell you how to read your plugs or maybe someone can post a link for you.

hey ricanstyle, do you have any pics of your engine bay with your nitrous installed? how far back is your nozzle from your throttle body?

·
Registered
222 Posts
The nozzle isn't too far back...I'd say like 3 inches from the TB at max...Is that bad? What should I look for in the plugs after the runs...Normally I don't spray till I hit 3rd gear and above 3000 rpm. I don't have a window switch, but I'm pretty good about holding back...However sometimes I spray on first at 4000 and second at 3000...is that bad?

·
Registered
60 Posts
i spray mine off the line well once i gain traction but that is me spay out off the hole and normal shifting from there on.If you try and power shift you will never hook up and do more damage than good i.e. clutch sliping and going through tires . So spray on and have fun.

·
Registered
222 Posts
So you live in Jacksonville huh...Me too, Actually I'm in greensboro now...Anyway...you feel safe sprayin on first...what shot are you running...Do you have cooler plugs and did you retard the ignition timing???

·
Registered
222 Posts
?

·
Registered
60 Posts
yeah i live in jacksonville i am in africa right now though but right now i run a 75 shot.i was running 50 but a got a new clutch so i went up to a 75.i feel very safe running nitroius in 1st,2nd,3rd,4th,and 5th but i only get to a low 4th before i hit the trap.I havent retarted the timing.but i havent had any problems i use 5144 auto light plugs like i posted before.they are copper i guess 1 step colder they also have a 2 step colder but there is no need for me to run it i am very confadent with my tech's at the shop.Buy the way there is a new shop in jville called crom's that is the place to go very good techs and a pretty big place.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I know, I'm good friends with the owner of Crom's

but that's cool, I'll get those plugs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts