Ford Focus Forum banner

just got a fix it ticket for my loud exhaust

656 views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  boostenzx3 
#1 ·
i just got home from work and went to pick up my dad. on my way back, got pulled over because the cop heard me coming from a block away. Whats the best way to quiet down without any hp loss (or little loss). FS race header + flex pipe, borla cat back

#5 ·
no way im replacing the borla. It sounds like heaven. Does the resonator replace the straight pipe that bolts to the flex pipe?

#6 ·
Originally posted by methknome:
no way im replacing the borla. It sounds like heaven. Does the resonator replace the straight pipe that bolts to the flex pipe?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">There in lies the problem my friend.

the Borla is whats killing you right now...unless you wanna get rid of the race header for a street header and stock cat!!

#7 ·
Get a huge ass resonator welded into your exhaust system.

#10 ·
On the Zetec, I hear no "Thunder" from the Borla.
Just a Godawful "Buzz". I don't mind loud if it's Ballsy, and Racing, but to have a Giant Bumblebee-on-Steroids for Street use IS Annoying....
Try a Different Exhaust w/ a Better, Warmer tone...

#11 ·
Originally posted by MichaelXi:
Just a Godawful "Buzz". I don't mind loud if it's Ballsy, and Racing, but to have a Giant Bumblebee-on-Steroids for Street use IS Annoying....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The exhaust doesn't cause the "buzz" it's the displacement factor. The Zetec is still a 4cycl 2.0L, nothing will change with another exhaust to elimate the "buzz".

I've had buzzing with my Thermal, and it's top quality. Just throw on a reasonator or an ultra quiet exhaust to get rid of the buzzing.

#12 ·
Originally posted by damius:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by MichaelXi:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The exhaust doesn't cause the "buzz" it's the displacement factor. The Zetec is still a 4cycl 2.0L, nothing will change with another exhaust to elimate the "buzz".

I've had buzzing with my Thermal, and it's top quality. Just throw on a reasonator or an ultra quiet exhaust to get rid of the buzzing.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Why doesn't my HKS sound buzzy? I've been around SCCA roadracing since the early 70's. We've raced Sprites,TR6's and MG Midgets with full race exhausts...none of them sound buzzy.

[ 02-20-2003, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Phillip ]

#14 ·
I've heard this noise issue brought up time to time. I guess it leaves me somewhat puzzled.

I hear Harleys for way more than a block away and nobody seems to bat an eye about that. I hear very loud modified pick up trucks, too.

Is there a "different" set of rules out there? Is living in a more rural area giving more tolerance for the noise?

Right now I have a Borla, Cat, and JBA headers. It sounds powerful and not at all buzzy. Do race headers make that much of a "quality of sound" change?

#15 ·
my exhaust has no hint of a buzz at all. Straight up ballsy, low tone. Thats why I don't want to get rid of it. I'd kill myself if my car sounded like a weed whacker.

#16 ·
Well the Zetec will NEVER sound like the Buzzzz of a Honda...
Tones DO Vary from Mfr to Mfr of various exhaust systems. Damius, Thermal isn't exactly the quietest either.
The Bosal is the most Rich and Ballsy of the many systems I've heard. Even w/ a Race-Header, it sounds deeper than anything else. Granted, w/ a Race-Header, MOST systems show a little more "Buzz", but w/ the Bosal it's much "Rounder" sounding than the rest.

#17 ·
Originally posted by Stay Focused:
I've heard this noise issue brought up time to time. I guess it leaves me somewhat puzzled.

I hear Harleys for way more than a block away and nobody seems to bat an eye about that. I hear very loud modified pick up trucks, too.

Is there a "different" set of rules out there? Is living in a more rural area giving more tolerance for the noise?

Right now I have a Borla, Cat, and JBA headers. It sounds powerful and not at all buzzy. Do race headers make that much of a "quality of sound" change?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's the TONE....
Harleys THUMP!!! No "Buzz" at all.
It's not How LOUD, It's WHAT KIND of Loud.

#20 ·
Get a magnaflow resignator from Focus Central. Then go to the local muffler shop and get them to make you a custom pipe that replaces the long straight section. That way if you want you can put the straight pipe back in. This is what i have done to my car and it sounds much better.

#21 ·
hey russell how much was the resonator.I just put on my FC race header and bosal flex pipe and adding that to my crappy muffler shop flex back with magnaflow muffler all i dot is one load raspy noisy pain in my ass. After like 2800 rpms my car is so raspy it's killing me. Icould care less if my car is load i just can't stand the raspy vibration sound crap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.