Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002, 30,000 miles and I was just wondering what kinds of maintenance I should do on it. Obviously oil and transmission fluid, but what about other stuff. Coolant flush? New brake fluid? Any specific preventative maintenance I should do?

Also, what should I use for transmission fluid?

-Andrew

·
Registered
71 Posts
I recommend mobil 1 for the oil, however some say royal purple or amsoil is even better. The svt has great breaks so make sure your fluid is kept good. One think to check is the dual stage intake (dsi) clip. On the Svt's the clip that opens the intake in the upper rpm range can break, so make sure yours is intact. You can do a search if you don't know what I'm talking about. That's really about it.

by the way how much did you buy it for?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
SVTF specific: find the control cable that operates the dual stage intake (DSI) and follow it to the manifold. Make sure the lever it attaches to is good. There have been lots o'threads on this, so searching for "DSI clip" (go back for 2 years) will fill you in on the whole deal.

Fluids: That's purely a personal preferrence. Some people never change them, some people change them too often. Your wallet will guide you well.

*EDIT: JBSVT types faster than me!*

·
Registered
94 Posts
As said before the DSI, but the clutch is the main one. Do you have a little rattle that sounds like marbles in a tin can. If so, the clutch is not so good. There is a TSB on that, since you have only 33,000 the car will maybe still under warranty. Does your car horn work. If it doesn;t there is a TSB for that TOO.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
by the way how much did you buy it for?
I picked it up for 10, but it has a few cosmetic problems, like a cracked rear bumper, and some small dents scattered around the car.

What worries me is that there is a strange rattle coming from somewhere in the front end of the car. It only occurs while not accelerating (holding constant speed) in 1st or 2nd gear between 1 and 2k rpm. At first I thought it was just a heat shield on the exhaust, but now I'm not sure.

Ok, off to read about the history of the dsi clip

-Andrew

edit: Nuts, looks like I missed the metal dsi group buy, any suggestions on that?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
edit: Nuts, looks like I missed the metal dsi group buy, any suggestions on that?
Offer me an insane amount of money for mine. I bought one as insurance against any future failure (I've had one fixed under warranty). Now I'm thinking it was a wise investment instument that could outperform the Dow.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Offer me an insane amount of money for mine. I bought one as insurance against any future failure (I've had one fixed under warranty). Now I'm thinking it was a wise investment instument that could outperform the Dow.
Keep the RPM's above 3k. Your car will love you for it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The rattle could be from the heat shield on the cat. they have the reputation for cracking around the mounting bolts or just working themselves loose. nothing major, but it is annoying.

on a side note, I got a full mobil 1 oil change at wal-mart in casselberry for $31.58. And they give you a half-quart of oil back in a sealed plastic bag! I think this is the best deal going.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rattle could be from the heat shield on the cat. they have the reputation for cracking around the mounting bolts or just working themselves loose. nothing major, but it is annoying.

on a side note, I got a full mobil 1 oil change at wal-mart in casselberry for $31.58. And they give you a half-quart of oil back in a sealed plastic bag! I think this is the best deal going.
Ok, I will look at the heat shield. I have another question though, I'm going to be getting the transmission fluid changed and was wondering what to put in it. The SVT recommended oil is fully synthetic and costs $17.50 a quart. On the other hand, I have 4 quarts of Redline full synthetic manual transmission/transaxel fluid, of the same weight. Which one is better?

-Andrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts