Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just installed an Autometer A/F meter, tapped into the wire going to pin 60 on the ecu. While cruising and holding a steady rpm the meter constantly sweeps from deep lean to deep rich. Is this normal? I'm just wondering because I used to have a Haltech A/F meter on my talon and the readings at a constant rpm would generally be between stoich and rich, the readings would move, but you could tell that the ecu was trying to compensate. The readings on the SVT tells me that it is either giving too much or not enough gas, little compensating going on. Also, the CEL is on (went on after ORP install), so we're wondering if perhaps the O2 is bad, perhaps throwing off our readings and giving the ecu bad info. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Check to be sure the metal gasket between the header and orp is in place and tight. Make sure all the bolts are tight. An exhaust leak before the o2 sensors can cause the front sensor to have a "slow response", then throw a cel. I have had the exact problem. I found my metal gasket was broken, and half of it was missing. I had to go to Ford and get a new gasket. After I installed the new gasket, made sure all the bolts where tight, and disconnected the battery for a few minutes the cel went away and has not returned. This was almost a month ago. Also, did you install the mil cheater? I would check that connection, check all the bolts, and make sure you remembered to use the metal gasket when installing the orp. If you didnt use the metal gaket, go back and look at your cat there is a metal gasket that belongs between the header and cat (for you the orp). As for the air fuel ration I have no idea. Good luck. Dont forget that Auto Zone scans obd2s for free, so you can know exactly where the problem is coming from.

·
Registered
643 Posts
It's normal. Even if you go to autometer's website it shows the guage sweeping and says it's normal...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Normal BUT when you get on the gas and hold it, it should go green and stay there!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everyone, thanks for the replies.

InfraredSVT - Thanks for that info. I will be checking for exhaust leaks this weekend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
yeah, i had an a/f gauge on my mustang and it'd stay rich when it's floored, otherwise it'd go back and forth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts