Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it finally came in. I got pictures of it in the SVT forum, so you can see how big it is, and how it is different.

http://www.teamfocaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=36&t=001395

So, hacking up the stock airbox with my sodering gun, I came up with this:

A little duct tape to fill in sections not covered, and I was done. It took a while, to line up the tube, and cut the box, but wasn't hard.

I also took the resonator off too. Didn't before, for I was worried it might sound, dare I say, ricey. But wow, it does add a nice intake note. A nice deep sound around 3-4k especially. I like it.

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: Egz ]</p>

·
Registered
637 Posts
I guess we need a p/n for the SVT airbox now, huh?
HEY!! fordmazdaboy, we got another request!
Thanks Egz, for the post. Let us know how it runs.

Edit: nevermind, I just saw the new post in the SVT p/n thread about the airbox. OOF!! that's expensive.

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: LiquidS2 ]</p>

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just order the snorkel too, but forget the $200 for the svt airbox. I can hack the one I have. This should work well with the bored out stock TB and euro grill intake mod I already did. Cheap mods, gotta luv'em.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just installed the svt snorkel also. Save yourself the money of buying the svt airbox - here's what you do: remove stock airbox and grind off the plastic tabs on the outside of the round intake tube at the bottom. Take your new svt snorkle and heat up the end that goes into the airbox with a heat gun. Shape it with some gloves on (HOT!) until it is somewhat round. Heat again until a little soft, will fit around OUTSIDE of round airbox inlet. Remove and let cool. Install airbox and snorkle on car.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was a good idea.

I love these ghetto mods. It isn't auto tuning if duct tape isn't used.

Seems to run ok. I don't really notice anything. Then again, I didn't notice anything after I installed my UDP.

The thing I like about this is that it looks stock.

·
Registered
408 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Egz:
It isn't auto tuning if duct tape isn't used. <hr></blockquote>

Just Brilliant, but it couldn't be closer to the truth!!

I might get that svt snorkel now, sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Couldn't a flanged pipe be used? Like a port for a sub box?

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you are looking for tubes for ports think about using plastic ports made for loudspeaker tuning. Parts Express sells a number of different ports. The 2.875" dia by 5" long port. part number 260-324 should be adapatble.

Most of the ports are under $1.00 each, so you can buy a half dozen and experiment.

You can find other tubes at Parts Express by doing a keyword search for Port Tube.

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: JohnsZX2SR ]</p>

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Good Luck.
Not TOO many totalled ones in the entire nation.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Thanks for that info.

At some point I'll be adapting one of these snorkels to a k&n FIPK heat-shield.
I'm prepared to use a dremel, heat-gun, whatever, but tubes for a speaker MAY be just what I need to get a good seal to jet the air to the filter, AND increase the efficiency of the heat-shield, which currently rests about 1/2" above the tip of the stock snorkel.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
So what IS the smallest inner diameter of the SVT snorkel? I'm thinking one of the Speaker tubes would be ideal for adapting it to my k&nFIPK, BUT I want to make sure that I don't order one that is too small. It needs to be at least as large as the skinniest part of the snorkel.
Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

·
Registered
334 Posts
haven't really looked yet, but could you slide the old intake snorkle into the resonator hole, and route it down under the car somewhere? just a thought i had looking at this post...

rob

[ 07-25-2002: Message edited by: mrgreen4242 ]</p>

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mrgreen4242:
haven't really looked yet, but could you slide the old intake snorkle into the resonator hole, and route it down under the car somewhere? just a thought i had looking at this post...

rob
<hr></blockquote>
I have a pretty neat idea.
I'm going to take the heat-shield of my k&n FIPK, and rotate it 90deg rearward. Using speaker-port tubing, I will mate up the orig. snorkle to the hole in what will now be the "Face" of the heat-shield, and route it downward past the SVT-tube, to draw air from under the car, tacking the leading edge of the snorkle to the fan-shroud.
I will also bore a hole in what used to be the rear of the heat-shield to adapt to the SVT snorkle, coming up in the original location.
Eventually, a friend of mine and I will fabricate an enclosed box w/ these adaptations, returning to something similar to the original airbox, but w/ a large cone-filter, and 2 3/4" more intake tubing. The stock box draws through a hole that's roughly 1 7/8". When I'm finished, I will have that, PLUS the 2 3/4 inlet for the SVT snorkle.

304 Posts
damn. seems pretty complicated. can someone explain the significance of the snorkel in the first place. right now i still have the stock air box, but am going to get either an aem cai or a k&n fipk. so once i got one of those two, would it be worth the svt snorkel mod?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
The Snorkle is the ONLY air-inlet for the stock air-box. A larger tube(the SVT snorkle)and hole(Bored for the adaptation)=MORE Air coming in.
For those w/Open Cone-Filters, the snorkle is a means of directing a greater quantity of forced/cooler air toward the filter.
When I eventually "Re-Enclose" the FIPK, the heat-shielding will be improved, and the ONLY air the intake will get,(Like the stock-box), will be cooler air from outside the engine bay.
The difference will be my re-use of the stock snorkle in conjunction w/ the SVT snorkle.
Instead of gaining roughly an inch in dia. of intake to the box, (ie. SVT snorkle on stock-box), I will gain 2 7/8" of cool-air opening/jetting.

[ 08-29-2002: Message edited by: michaelxi ]

[ 08-29-2002: Message edited by: michaelxi ]</p>

1 - 20 of 23 Posts