Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, please dont tell me to do a search, I just did! (see proof below)
Please wait... we are processing your search request... We just searched forum Motorsports News and Results (# 62).
So far, we have found 0 matches.
Note: The search will stop once 200 - 300 matches have been found.

Today while at the dealership (yes a Ford Dealership) I bought a drop in K and N filter for my SVT. After installation, (about 10 miles) the check engine light came on. I took the car back to the dealership and the service manager came out to the car with his palm pilot and a cable toplug it into the car.
He said he couldnt figure it out because there weer no "permanent error codes", and he reset the computer. The light went out.

After about another 20 miles, the cel has come back on. I disconnected the neg. and let it sit for about an hour, and the light would not come back on. Well 5 minutes later, there it is.

I have now taken out the K and N, and reset the computer again, and the light came right on.
Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how was it fixed. I do not have time for the car to be in the shop for another week, and it seems the service techs dont know as much about these cars as many of you. So if I can go in tomorrow morning and say, "check this..." it might make things easier.

Thank you very much for any help...

Terry

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
coulda got oil on the maf... other than that not sure...try cleaning the maf

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I go about cleaning the MAF??? I looked at it and it seems that my big arse hands would end up breaking it. Is there something that i can spray it with???
And my next question is if the car is running well, do i need to rush into the dealership or can it wait until Monday?

Thanks,

Terry

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
i really doubt its oil on the maf...unless you bought the filter and soaked it in oil....they need to hook it up and pull all the codes and really figure out what's goin on.....i'm more than positive its not the filter....and the filter didnt cause any problems.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didnt put any oil on the filter, it seemed like it was a little wet, but definately not soaked. They did try to pull the codes, and the car came up clear.
The first time was the oil pressure regulator went out along with most of the engines gaskets (and oil)
I guess I will have to bite the bullet and get it into the dealer in the morning.

(Unless I get a better suggestion)

Thanks Mucho,
Terry

[ 09-12-2002, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: my2002svt ]

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just back from the dealer. They put the car on their computer and said there are no error caodes coming up. Then they reset the light.
We will see if this works this time.

Terry

·
Registered
77 Posts
did you recently get gas b4 filter change? check gas cap tightness if you did

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have been running a K&N drop in filter for 2 months and 5000 miles with no problems. I agree it "can't" be the filter...

good luck and please let us know the outcome

G

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today, the light came back on. The dealer cant work on it until Monday...
So I wait...

Terry

·
Registered
369 Posts
I wouldnt worrie about it.. its probably the O2 sensor ... . . Just a stab

·
Registered
75 Posts
...ditto the above, I don't think has anything to do with your K & N drop-in install. Don't know how many miles you've got on the car, but my O2 went out at about 10,000 miles...hopes this helps you a little.

·
I have a golden finger
1,834 Posts
i got a k&n filter from the same dealership as terry, and i've had no problem...

i do know that for some reason there are a lot of non-op SVT focii at the dealership though

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by JimmyLee:
...ditto the above, I don't think has anything to do with your K & N drop-in install. Don't know how many miles you've got on the car, but my O2 went out at about 10,000 miles...hopes this helps you a little.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ditto, but it was around 13K for me...
You'd know it though, it makes it run like CRAP at WOT at RPM below 2000....

Good Luck. it's probably not much, and it's covered by warranty...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Final conclusion, MAF, two O2 sensors, and a fuse (Im not sure which fuse) I was told this afternoon that it will be done tomorrow (they dont have the O2 sensors).
The moral of the story is, in some cases, a K and N filter (right out of the box) can have too much oil on it!!!

Terry

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Originally posted by my2002svt:
Final conclusion, MAF, two O2 sensors, and a fuse (Im not sure which fuse) I was told this afternoon that it will be done tomorrow (they dont have the O2 sensors).
The moral of the story is, in some cases, a K and N filter (right out of the box) can have too much oil on it!!!

Terry
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well its pretty much impossible for the K&N to affect your O2 sensors....a fuse...likely if it had to do something with your MAF...but the day a K&N causes o2 sensors to crap out...is the day i eat my hat

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I just picked the car up. they called a few mintues after my last post, and said it was done.
Heres what the report says.
EEC test failed 12650D.2. P0141, P0135
EEC test failed 12650D80.1.1 , 12650D81.5
Pin point test failed 12650D45.3.
Test fail open heater circuits to oxygen and catalyst sensor 14200A.3.
R and R 10amp fuse 14526A
R and R oxygen sensor, catalyst sensor, mass air flow sensor.
EEC test pass

If any of you can read anything more into that, be my guest. The car seems to be running well. The service writer stated to me that it was the opinion of everyone there that the K and N filter was the cause of the problem. BUT, they did the work under warranty anyway.

Terry

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In the never ending saga of the 02' SVT that is about to take a 1 way trip to mexico...
Guess what happens on the way home this evening...
You guessed it, the ^%$#&*^%$&* CEL came back on and the car is running like total ****ake.
I am so f'ing tired of this car I am pulling the video system out, the harness, the strut bar, and anything else I can think of. Then putting the few pieces back on that I have taken off, and Im going to drive this car down to the dealer and scream, yell, shout, etc.
I have had alot of fun driving this car, but at this point, 1. I dont trust it 2. It spends as much time at the dealer as in my garage and 3. screw #3...

Anyone down for a trip to Mexico. Maybe a little Baja action will set it straight! But then again, maybe it will break down and need to be left there!!!

Sorry for the ranting...

Terry

·
Registered
997 Posts
part it out then report it stolen!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts