Ford Focus Forum banner

K&N Air Filter - Is there a noticable gain?

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  chebbie427 
#1 ·
Well, someone here at work told me I would gain about 3-5 HP if I replaced the stock ZX3 filter with a K&N air filter.

Is this true?

They also claimed better gas mileage too, along with a noticable "power" and acceleration difference.

Hmmm...

If so, I will shell out the $40 for one...

-=J=-

#4 ·
Incresed gas milage and better flowing air..always a good thing to replace anything thats stock when possible
I love K&N just dont be expecting like WOW OMG!! ya know?? Its a good investment though
whats better is getting a cone filter and getting rid of the stock box all together...that will add a little bit of power, and deffintly make the car sound mean as heck!!

#5 ·
The Filter WILL give maybe 2-5 HP.
The least expensive upgrade would be to get the k&n "Drop-In" filter you're talking about, then get the SVT Snorkel to replace the Stock one that goes to the front edge of the engine-bay. With a Dremel and a little ingenuity, it can be adapted, and significantly increase your air flow over stock. Do a "Search" here and in the SVT Forum on "SVT Snorkel"(sp? I don't remember if it's le or el at the end...)
There are several threads which include part #'s, cost, and examples of where people have modded their stock box or their Volant Intake to work with it.
A full-on cone filter will give more gains, BUT, on a tighter budget, this is a decent Upgrade IMO.

[ 10-23-2002, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

#6 ·
Tell you a story, my dealership take out my k&n and replace it w/ a paper filter without letting me know. I gain some milage with my paper and iceman setup without any power lost(at least I can't feel it). If you're tight, put a cone filter on it.

#7 ·
if you have stock intake tube with cone filter you will get bog, because of all the hot engine air. just get yourself a true cold air intake and enjoy the difference you will get and notice, the aem is probably the best on the market and you can tell and hear the difference.

#8 ·
I put a cone filter on my stock intake tube and it wasn't good at all... You get all the hot air.. your gas mileage is is MUCH worse... and your car is actually slower.. lil hint.. to make your car sound louder just take off the stock silencer that is on the right of the airbox... This is what i did with my car and it works very nicely

#9 ·
How much (if any) gain from a gauze filter will depend on how much air you actually require. On a stock engine I doubt you will notice any difference at all.

Recently, after reinstalling my OEM airbox, I experimented with the stock paper filter v a gauze filter (blue fabric w/ foam prefilter, came with my Borla exhaust, I believe Holley makes it).

The difference was obvious. None of this "I think it may have helped," but an unquestionable significant difference. However, I have an Aero Charger turbo so the air requirement for the engine is much higher.

The more mods you make, the more beneficial a high flow filter should be.

#10 ·
I have the K&N drop in filter. I feel it definetly added power. I can't say it was 3-5 hoursepower, but it was something I could feel. I also have MSD wires, and Magnaflow muffler. Can't say I felt as great a gain with either of these. I would say if you only have $40 to spend, it will not be wasted on a K&N drop-in. If you have hundreds of dollars to spend, you are probably better off with other alternatives.

#11 ·
No significant gain.

#13 ·
You won't feel it. However, a whole bunch of little "you won't really notice it by itself" mods are what seperate the really nice cars from the ones who don't understand how all that money got them nowhere. Designing a *system* of upgrades is a lot more useful than just slapping a turbo on a stock engine.

In short, take the time to get the details like a slightly better, infinitely reusable air filter. You'll save money on air filters over the long term, and your other mods will all appreciate it later.

#14 ·
Don't believe the magazines. Their claims are for cars which have been restricted in airflow compared to their new k&n. On a stock focus, which probably gets all the air it already needs, you won't feel a difference. As someone mentioned, the more mods you make to the engine, the more air you need, then the more gains you'll see from the change.

That said, you may feel a difference if you haven't replaced your stock paper filter in a while but then again, any replacement would let you feel that difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.