Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just and FYI, I took my (panel stock style) K&N air filter out after discovering rather large (sand like) particles were making their way through the filter.
Some of them were collecting in what I would describe as traps in the lower part of my air intake. I switched back to stock, as the only thing that seemed to pass through it, was more like powder size. I don't want sand in my engine. Does anyone have any response, or has anyone had any similar experiences? Do you have any better filtration methods that still yield higher air flow?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Thameth, I didn't know where to put this.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Just curious, but when you say lower part of your intake do you mean the lower half of the intake housing where the filter sits? The reason I ask is that K&N's are pretty notorious for filtering out even the tiniest of particles while at the same time allowing more air flow. As a result of the increased air flow you may be collecting debris on the bottom of the intake box that the filter has not allowed to pass through since the air flow's into the intake box from the bottom, and flow's up through the filter medium. If it's collecting on the TB side of the intake pipe then you would really have some concerns. But if it's collecting on the bottom of the intake housing under the filter then the filters doing it's job well.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, dan, I think you caught me being stupid. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. It was in the lower chamber, which is not what is passing through to the engine, but what is denied passage to the engine. Good call, thanks for the info. What can I say, I'm an idiot.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Eh... We've all been guilty of that now and then.

Now would probably be a good time to remind everybody to properly maintain their K&N Filter. Clean it regularly using the proper cleaning kit and always re-oil, being careful not to OVER oil.

A poorly maintained and dry K&N will filter worse than a stock paper filter, but a well maintained one will offer superior filtering and less restriction.

Not that you didn't know that, but I had to get my public service message in for the day.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, the K&N is back in. I feel like a dork, but oh well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts