1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
yes.

·
Registered
433 Posts
to be honest with you, the filters [K&N or not] with the open end flow less then stock air filters...and we've proved it......reason being..

think of a straw...with a hole in it. when you try to suck the fluid up you have a hard time.

same thing with the filter on your car..

·
Registered
143 Posts
gonna have to disagree with that one. the reverse cone increases filter area this always increases flow. a straw with a hole in it flows more air because there is more hole.

suck through one straw,

add another straw, which increases "hole" area
and suck more air.

if you relate it to sucking fluid, then the hole in the straw must be submurged in the liquid. you would suck more liquid.

fluid dynamics and gas dynamics are seperate disiplines and to properly measure flow you cannot introduce the other.

[ 03-12-2003, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Machine ]

·
Registered
729 Posts
Originally posted by Machine:
gonna have to disagree with that one. the reverse cone increases filter area this always increases flow. a straw with a hole in it flows more air because there is more hole.

suck through one straw,

add another straw, which increases "hole" area
and suck more air.

if you relate it to sucking fluid, then the hole in the straw must be submurged in the liquid. you would suck more liquid.

fluid dynamics and gas dynamics are seperate disiplines and to properly measure flow you cannot introduce the other.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">100% right. focused one would be right if we were trying to suck up water, in that it would be harder through a straw with a hole. But, we're trying to suck up air like machine said. If anything it would help.

I have heard reports that this inward cone produces turbulance that restrics...bull****!!!!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
well. the purpse of the inward cone is to REDUCE turbulance

ummm if you're just gonna sling this filter ont he MAF then i would tell you save your time and money and wait until you can afford a real CAI off ebay.

the filter on the MAF will do nothing but hurt you. and make more noise. (not that noise is a bad thing, but if you're gonna make more noise, you bette rmake some more power as well!)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Think back to your physics class. Yes the filter has more surface area, but according to these laws this design would have some air flow turbulence. For high flow, low turbulence take a look at one of Vibrant's cone filters, model (2169R). Same cone design but the top end is a high flow flat cotton wire mesh, that is about 3 1/2 in. wide. It is reusable just like the K&N, it cost's about $26. I am sure people will debate on this. Just my thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts