Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAI is too expensive to get a few gains IMO so I'm thinking about K&N drop-in air filter since its much cheaper. I think I'd get almost the same gains. What do you think?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
There is no drop-in air filter for the Duratec. Our air filtration systems are sealed at the factory, to be replaced entirely at 100,000 miles. The filter itself is non-removable.

Also, I seriously doubt you'd get anywhere near the gains as a CAI. Those gains come from removing the restrictive stock intake tubing, not just the filter element.

Edit: P.S.: Welcome to the Jet!

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
^^^ What he said.

The PZEV vesions also have a HC trap on top of the MAF tube.

Welcome to [FJ].

Where're you from?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I wish Veedub and Focus guys could get along. Most of the ones I've met in person are pretty nice, and their cars are awesome.

You could've done worse. You've gone from a German car tweaked for American law, to a European chassis heaped with American weirdness.

·
19,806 Posts
Sorry; that was too painful to read.

What year Focus? Sure it's a Duratec and not a Zetec engined car? There is a K&N for those I think...(having experience with ony the Duratec).

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's going to be a brand new Focus ZX5 with 2.0L Duratec engine. They got a Focus SVT on the lot but they wouldn't let me lease one.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Perhaps you shouldn't hang around in this forum. I don't think the dealer would like it if you followed our advice on a leased car.

·
19,806 Posts
It's going to be a brand new Focus ZX5 with 2.0L Duratec engine. They got a Focus SVT on the lot but they wouldn't let me lease one.

Copy that.

For $250.00 you can buy the SVT Focus Suspension Kit...

Four coils, four dampers and a rear bar (the fronts bars are the same between the ZX3 and SVT) but you'll need a certain trim level to get the rear bar in the first place...

I think Pitch would know which trim...

Either way, I think you'll be pleased with the Focus's handling dynamics and ride quality; it's a good car and fun to drive.

·
19,806 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not going to mod the car heavily or change the suspension or anything like that. I don't have that money anyway. I was just asking simple question about K&N air filter. Since I can't do that, I won't do anything to my car unless I decide to keep it at the end.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I think Pitch would know which trim...
The SES certainly has a rear bar, and the S doesn't. I don't know about the SE.

Without a CAI, I can't really think of anything reasonably temporary that you could get away with on a leased car. The XCalibrator, surely, but it wouldn't give you much of a gain with stock intake/exhaust.

Pity about the lack of mods. It's not a bad car to begin with, it's just so much better with a little well-placed cash.

·
19,806 Posts
I'm not going to mod the car heavily or change the suspension or anything like that. I don't have that money anyway. I was just asking simple question about K&N air filter. Since I can't do that, I won't do anything to my car unless I decide to keep it at the end.

Yeah, we're opinionated around here.

Enjoy the car and again, welcome to the 'jet.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Buy the car if you can bro, the lease just ain't worth it.. You will definitely change your mind about keeping it no time, especially after a few light mods.

Breath in, breath out.

It'd be nice if those VW guys actually knew what they were talking about.. VW is like GM of Germany. I know the 1.8T is pretty balsy, but those cars are not the most reliable, are quite expensive and so is modding them.

Welcome to [FJ], stick around, there's always a
goin on somewhere...

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
To get technical, Opel is the GM of Germany.

And even if Volkswagens aren't so great compared to other German cars (i.e., the rest of VAG
), simply being German makes them better than 95% of the American compact market.

·
Registered
45 Posts
And even if Volkswagens aren't so great compared to other German cars (i.e., the rest of VAG
), simply being German makes them better than 95% of the American compact market.
Unfortunately, it was that complacent, "rest on your laurels" attitude that has gotten VW where it is at the moment...

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
We're driving domestics. Don't even start on this "resting on your laurels" stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I slogged through the VW forum... There's tons more hate for the Focus over there than the trash I read about Ricers over here. I wonder why. Maybe being designed in Germany and built in Mexico (like VW) hits too close to home.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts