Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Michael... oh Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiichal
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">hahaha...exactly what I was thinking. From what I've heard and seen, it looks like a good intake. Comparable in many ways to a Volant, which is also a quality piece.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have this intake on my 01 ZX3 manual. It is a high quality kit. install was very simple with good intstructions. No mods needed to install except I cut about 6" of the breather hose both hooking up as it was too long. It has a nice growl and seems to add some power. Dyno sheet that came with it says it adds 4HP. Better throttle response, too. Good kit. I recccomend it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have it, it is great and yes it only adds roughly 4hp to our engines, probably on larger engines it would add more around the range of 14 or so, but if you want an intake this is a great one to get, and how could you go wrong with K&N

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Hmmmmm....
I'll post here. I got your PM BTW....
I LOVE Mine!!!

I'd say 4 is a Conservative Estimate.
I was thinking more like 7+.
Obviously less than 10, but more than just a handful.
NICE Sound!!

EASY Install.... Only a few basic tools are required.
It looks sharp, and it's well designed.
It comes with a heat-shield, and I've had ZERO Problems w/ bogging in the HOTTEST Weather.
Just for even MORE Cool Air, I added the SVT Snorkel, and Adapted it to the hole in the heat shield which is designed for the Stock Snorkel.
I'd recommend it ANY Day.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
how bout low end tq (below 2.5k) and is the tube big enough that there would be no restriction for TB/MAFS combo?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by blueovalbaboon:
how bout low end tq (below 2.5k) and is the tube big enough that there would be no restriction for TB/MAFS combo?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you're asking about aftermarket, I'm not sure. I've never tried yet. The Stock MAFS is a direct Bolt-up. The end at the T/B uses that Orange Rubber piece and hose-clamps, so I'd think you could go a LITTLE bigger, but I'm not sure about the I/D of the Tubing.
When I Auto-X, I'm quite pleased w/ the car's Low-End for a 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have this intake too. Good high end increase and it didn't seem to lose in the low end. Only problem i have is that it tends to fall off at the throttle body. I used new hose clamps, an MJ clamp and even applied gasket sealer with no avail.

Its kind of a piss off.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Martini this was happening to me too, what you need to do is take the tubing apart and put the tb end on first, then where it is designed to bend close to the MAF tighten it up last, with the filter and heatshield where it wants to rest, should fix it coming loose, what you and I must have been doing was moving the point at which it is suppose to give at, and making it only have one choice and that was to slide up off the TB. Hope that helps

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by 2o*FoCusZeTec*o2:
Thanks, I'm either going to go with Volant or this.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">DEFINITELY the Best 2 on the Market.
BOTH can be adapted for the SVT Snorkel, and BOTH have great Flow.
When I was estimating the HP gains earlier, I was using the AF/X UDP as a Guage. I believe it's good for 3-5 additional WHP, and the k&n FIPK DEFINITELY delivered a bit more, so I'm guessing 7-ish, knowing that an intake can't do too much more than that over the stock set-up w/o lots of other mods or F/I.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just got my FIPK over the last week.
Very happy with how install went,quality and performance now.

Can't be much simpler to install if this noob can do it.Great sound.It's amazing how much more fun it is to hear than the stock unit.

When I originally put it on,I used an SVT snorkle but did not address the gap between the heat shield opening and the end of the snorkle.
It all worked and sounded okay,but seemed like something was missing.I can understand the heatsoak thing a little now.
So I took it apart a little and for now until I want to do some serious fabbing I used part of the old snorkel tube to bridge the gap.
What a difference.

Throttle response is better,sound has evened out all is well.
Michael,thanks for sticking up for the FIPK it had a great deal to do with why I got it.
I will say though for those who get this in future,make some kind of bridge from the snorkle to the heat shield it will help.

from me.

rich

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Glad to hear that you liked it so much!!!

I really do love mine. As I've mentioned before, on mine, we cut the hole in the heat shield to the diameter of the Main body of the SVT Snorkel. We then did some cutting and heating on the snorkel's "Small" end, and rounded it out a bit. A Speaker-Port Tube (Which has a flange on one end) was then dropped down through the hole in the heat shield, and placed over the end of the snorkel to provide the "Bridge" for the airflow.
The Port-Tube was 2 7/8" Inner-Diameter X 5" Long.
I ordered a few of them from PartsExpress.com at various lengths and diameters for later use. (And to have spares in case I screwed something up. They're under $1 apiece...)
As far as the intake working itself off of the T/B, I had it once as well, but found that a Good Cleaning went a long way. It's never done it again.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Definitely More than 4!!!!
The AF/X Crank UDP is 3-5, IIRC, and this intake was DEFINITELY a Larger Increase!!!

[ 02-07-2003, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Registered
320 Posts
actually i had this intake, and wish i had never gotten rid of it. it was tested on my car and they did the install sheet for the intake on my car, notice no resonater on the stock box??? well it's actually a really good intake, very good hp gains, and very well produced product.

Jordan

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by j_latimer:
actually i had this intake, and wish i had never gotten rid of it. it was tested on my car and they did the install sheet for the intake on my car, notice no resonater on the stock box??? well it's actually a really good intake, very good hp gains, and very well produced product.

Jordan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wow!! Semi Old-School!
Semi Long-Time-No-Hear, man.
Good to see a post.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts