-Does it make a noticeable power/torque difference anywhere in the powerband

Dan

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by H-Focus 1:

-Does it sound good?
-Does it make a noticeable power/torque difference anywhere in the powerband
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">YES!!!, and YES!!!!!
The sound is really rich and throaty, and I felt a definite increase in "Pull" across the entire range. "Butt-Dyno" couldn't say that it had a certain range that was more or less improved.
Feels and sounds better bottom to top.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
are you guys talking about the actual intake kit by K&N? not just the filter? I was wondering if it would be purchase well worth it or not.. They seem to be cheaper than others, but i didnt know what was good.

Jon Green

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
The k&n FIPK.
I LOVE Mine!!

My very first performance mod, and WELL Worth it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have to agree with michaelxi on this one. Was also my first performance mod and I completely love this thing. Does have a very nice throaty sound. I would definately recommend it.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
the price I found for the FIPK is just over 300$. is that what you guys paid???

Jon

·
Registered
745 Posts
$260 new...i went to K&N webpage used one of their online distributers. also i think that the K&N is way better engineered than other intakes...the thick plastic other than aluminum tube and the bell at the tb helps create a airflow vortex improving flow.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by iamgod:
.....the K&N is way better engineered than other intakes...the thick plastic other than aluminum tube and the bell at the tb helps create a airflow vortex improving flow.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It ALSO does a MUCH better job of heat rejection than the popular "shorty" intakes for the Zetec.
Many others like the AEM, Iceman, etc, use the metal tubing which doesn't stay nearly as cool.
The FIPK also comes w/ a small heat-shield, w/ a hole to go over the outlet of your stock intake snorkel. I have modified mine to accomodate the larger SVT Snorkel.
It's a Great Intake whether you're talking Power, Sound, Looks, Ease of Install, Practicality, or whatever.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
well im not going to pay around $300 for something with the same performance as a $150 intake. If you're going to spend that much get an AEM, at least they have a bigger mass-air meter. For now I'm sticking with a MAC intake.

Jon

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input guys. I think this is the way I'm going to go. For all of you concerned about the price, www.focusperformance.com has the whole kit for $199.95. Sounds like a steal for what you get. I plan on stealing one while the gettin's good!

Dan

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
It says its for use with other engine mods and for racing only. does this mean if you have a stock focus you are better with something else??? what if you plan to get other mods.. can you still get that?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jonszx3,

I think that's the same disclaimer that most aftermarket parts use since they can alter emissions output. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Dan

G

·
0 Posts
I've been very interested in this intake as well. Can anyone tell me if I can fit my FC strut tower bar with this K&N kit ?

Thanks'

=dRe=

·
Registered
22 Posts
K&N FIPK2 is my 1st perf mod. I really like it. Definite power gains all thru rev range. Car pulls better all the way thru. Easy install, quality kit. Seems like it will last the life of the car easily. Absolutely no problems. Has good hose for crankcase vent. Mine was a little long. I cut off 6"-worked great. paid $259 icluding cleaning kit and free shipping from one of the K&N online retailers listed on their site. Anyone reccomend a good cat back that's quiet to work with it?

·
Registered
476 Posts
how does this perform in warm weather, it looks kinda like it is a short ram air kit. Just wouldn't want to buy it just for hot air to be harming my investment.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Originally posted by MichaelXi:
You are correct. it's just a "Cover our ass" disclaimer. It IS emissions-legal, but they want to be on the safe side.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So this intake has CARB approval but they just say it is for "off road use only" just to be safe? This doesn't make sense. They could sell a lot more with the approval.

I beleive the Ice-man has CARB approval, but are there any others? Injen says theirs is "pending," Volant wouldn't even answer my inquiry. Does anyone know for sure? Shure would be nice to know before the police pull you over or you go in for a visual inspection.

[ 10-01-2002, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Giraffe_hauler ]

·
Registered
745 Posts
it uses the stock meter and housing bolts right up to it no tinkering or removal so no chance of biffin it! also it comes with a CARB number stick to be placed inside your hood with any others.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
i dont think there is any intake for the focus that changes the MAF size. it would mess up the calibration. you can buy a new MAF section, but tahts your only option. you cant just stick the stock MAF in a bigger pipe.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts