Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cheap on ebay, how good are they?? the headers look ok, i have only see this gret color but can come in ceramic coated also

which exhzust will give me a clean, deep sound!! no ricer sound

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Do a search on the Borla and MBRP exhaust systems. There's a lot of people here who are satisfied with those exhausts.

As for the Kamikaze Header, there has to be someone here who has it...but who?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
ctzx3 has it along with like 1 or 2 others...

I'm waiting for myfordfocus.com to get my ceramic coated one in stock and then i will have one too

huge primaries and a 2.5 collector, it looks like the best race header yet

[ 10-20-2002, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: TRUenemy00 ]

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by Hi-Risk:
As for the Kamikaze Header, there has to be someone here who has it...but who?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just put mine in on Thursday. The fit and finish are both excellent. Waiting on a couple more parts before I dyno, so I don't know about power yet. I have a 2 1/4 flex and exhaust with a magnaflow. I had to add a resonator to kill off some of the beezzzzzzzzzzzz.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Blue, since you seem to be a technically minded individual, could you share the specs on the Kamikaze race header? Primary length(s?), collector length and design and primary ID. I would like to be able to tell how different it is to the Focus Sport unit.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Those are some seriously short runners! I cannot recall a 4-1 design with runners that short on a four cylinder before. That could result in a very narrow torque band. Of course, there are so many variables in header design that it is difficult to speculate. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by teamDFL:
Blue, since you seem to be a technically minded individual, could you share the specs on the Kamikaze race header? Primary length(s?), collector length and design and primary ID. I would like to be able to tell how different it is to the Focus Sport unit.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thank you for the "technically minded" thing. Although my family prefers to inject "anal-retentive" into any description of me.

The primary length varies from 9" to just over 10" with 1 & 2 shorter than 3 & 4. The collector length is 3.5" and the design is a 4 into 1.

They use 14 guage steel with an OD of 1.75" for the primary tubes. That leaves about 1.5" for the ID. The port end is oval shaped, so it's hard to tell exactly. The pipe from the collector to the end is 2.5" and the ID is just slightly larger than the pipe on my 2.25" flex.

The bolt holes on the flex end are elongated. They should mate with any of the various flex pipes out there.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so whats the deal with the race headers?? whats the diff between these(race headers) and the shorty twisted funny looking ones, any diff, i do not race, well street race but i mean its a daily driver??? so the kamikaze is pretty good eh????

·
Registered
389 Posts
A shorty header bolts up to the stock catalytic converter. A shorty header is like a stock header with better flow (we hope). A race header replaces the cat with a straight pipe.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok which one creates a deeper sound, so with the race header, there is no catalyic converter??

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by Travis:
your going to be mayby catching that second exhaust pulse in resonance tune but over all your going to loose alot of power compared to an FC header or FS because with 10 inch primaries that thing is resonance tuned to 11000 rpms but the primaries are a ****ty width so they wouldnt support that kind of power anyways... poorly designed header... very poorly designed... however it will give you a gain dont getme wrong any header is better then the stock shorty and cat.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Maybe you should re-read "The Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems" bq Philip Smith and John Morrison. If you've misplaced your copy I could loan you mine.

Short primaries with large diameters are very good for making mid to high end power. True you will loose some low end torque, but we'll have to see what the dyno says.

Oh, that resonance tuning thing is kinda tricky. What with harmonics and all. Turns out that it will work just as well at 5500 - 6500 as it will at 11000.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so whats the deal now, lol, i need power, don;t need a loss in power, so whats the best setup to get?? header combo???

·
Registered
481 Posts
Originally posted by foci:
<strnng>so, so basically i can get the shorty race header, volt it up to my stock cat and then get a cat back???? thanks alot blue for all your help!![/b]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Short headers are not "race" headers, but are usually referred to as "street" headers. Long headers, as the ones in this thread, are urually referred to as "race" headers.

If you are going to keep you catalytic converter, you want a "street" header, JBA, Pacesetter, or Ford Racing. They will bolt up to your stock catalytic converter. Then you get to choose a catback exhaust to buy. Also, you should consider getting a 2.25" flexpipe while you are under there.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i wanna keep the cat, does the FS shorty header bolt right up?

·
Registered
294 Posts
<'font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</fnnt><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by teamDFL:
Those are some seriously short runners! I cannot recall a 4-1 design with runners that short on a four cylinder before. That could result in a very narrow torque band. Of course, there are so many variables in header design that it is difficult to speculate. Thanks for the pics.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Short runners plus big primarys = bad for N/A cars. Those are good headers for supercharged hondas i know, and i think its similar here too.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts