Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just arrived today, here she is

The quality appears pretty good, solid welds, and craftsmanship is excellent. 3 fittings for the egr tube, o2 sensor and the other sensor. This is the ceramic version. It didnt come with any bolts, gasket or instructions though
. Paid $267 shipped from Big Josh Racing (on eBay)

Now to get it installed!

[ 11-21-2002, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: chris_k ]

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Nice Piece. I'll be interested to see the gains as the collecter is much closer to the exhaust ports than I'm use to seeing.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by belacyrf:
Nice Piece. I'll be interested to see the gains as the collecter is much closer to the exhaust ports than I'm use to seeing.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah i know this header has a pretty fat collector, not the kind of 4-2-1 we find on fs race header

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
focuspunk, now as you can see, the pepsi are there for a comparison size ratio thingamajik
and as for the flex pipe, im going to use the stock piece, since im not sure if an aftermarket one would make any difference, unless someone can convince it can

as for now, im not having such a fine time installing this header, first off the damn egr tube was hella of pain in the ass to get off, 2nd there are like two-three really annoying torx bits that shouldn't be there in first place! why did ford have to include these torx bits to bolt the header on, why couldn't they just use the regular 10mm bolts???!

[ 11-19-2002, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: chris_k ]

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there are two O2 sensors that just wont come off the stock cat, since it's such a pita, can i not use them on the race header, will my engine stall? will it affect anything?

[ 11-19-2002, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: chris_k ]

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
neither Focus Central or Focus Sport's race header come with a gasket, kamakazi is no different...since the stocker is metal you can reuse it almost forever

as far as bolts, FC doesn't provide bolts either...the stockers are fine and the hex ones actually help you hang the header on there...

I didn't have to mess with my egr because I just removed it and had the bung on the header welded shut and then capped off...opened up alot of space under the hood and made life alot easier

which coating is that..ceramic or chrome?
here is a pic of the ceramic coated kamakazi one on my car

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by TRUenemy00:
neither Focus Central or Focus Sport's race header come with a gasket, kamakazi is no different...since the stocker is metal you can reuse it almost forever

as far as bolts, FC doesn't provide bolts either...the stockers are fine and the hex ones actually help you hang the header on there...

I didn't have to mess with my egr because I just removed it and had the bung on the header welded shut and then capped off...opened up alot of space under the hood and made life alot easier

which coating is that..ceramic or chrome?
here is a pic of the ceramic coated kamakazi one on my car
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My FS kit came with all new bolts,screws etc...and two new gaskets for the flex pipe...yup I ordered a new exhaust manifold for like $5 at the local ford dealer...I would change it out for as cheap as the price is.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I guess you guys are right, I'll have to use the stock header gasket and the bolts. After the stocker is off, i'll use some 3m to sand down the header manifold nicely then everything will be set.

Ok the cat is off, and all the 10mm bolts on the stock header as well. The only thing left is two very hard to reach 13mm bolts! Grr!!

Here is one of the two 13mm bolts that i'm having trouble with because the space is so tight to work with...i can't even use a socket wrench because the thread is too long, and 2nd I can use the 13mm wrench, but it TAKES FOREVER!!

Is there a special tool to get this 13mm bolt off? I've considered already to take a dremel and cut the thread shorter so I can use a socket 13mm...

[ 11-19-2002, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: chris_k ]

·
Registered
829 Posts
Yup deep socket is the only way...I tried to use the torx first....forget that!!! Once you install and take it off 2 or 3 times it is a breeze! Good luck!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by chris_k:
there are two O2 sensors that just wont come off the stock cat, since it's such a pita, can i not use them on the race header, will my engine stall? will it affect anything?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Is this a joke? Not use the O2 sensors?

The PCM uses the first O2 sensor to set AFR in closed loop mode, which covers most of your driving time. If it detects a missing or failed O2 in the first position it will revert to straight table data. Constant check engine light. This might trigger the dreaded "Limp Mode". Not good.

The second O2 sensor is used to check Catalyst System Efficiency. If it is missing you will get a P0420 DTC and constant check engine.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ahh thanks for clearing that up for me! The problem is, the bolts for the two sensors were stripping (not that bad) when i tried to remove with an open-ended wrench, so i stopped for awhile before it could get worse. Is there any safe way around this, like a sure-fire way i can get the sensors safely removed from the cat? It's such a pita!!

i have an 02 cheater harness from newedge, but i have no clue on which wire to plug it into (theres two), and speaking of the 'limp mode' you have just mentioned, if i install everything successfully what are the chances that my car will go into this mode...are there other modes as well that could affect performance/stability? anyway, thanks again!!

edit: as for the 02 cheater plug, is it safe to use this, and so basically all it does it eliminate the signal for the CEL? Thats it?

[ 11-19-2002, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: chris_k ]

·
Registered
389 Posts
The O2 cheater plug goes inline with the second O2 sensor. That's the one with the blue plug. You still have to install the sensor with the cheater plug. When you install the sensors, make sure you use some anti sieze compound on the threads.

I don't know if a bad or missing first O2 sensor will cause Limp Mode. But, it is not a good thing. I know that the second O2 sensor will NOT cause limp mode or hurt your performance. It can cause a constant check engine light that will mask any other problems that you may have.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Originally posted by chris_k:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by belacyrf:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah i know this header has a pretty fat collector, not the kind of 4-2-1 we find on fs race header
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What on earth are you talking about? 4-2-1?

Our FS race header is 4-1 and has a very nice TIG welded collector.

[ 11-19-2002, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: FocusSportVP ]

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by FocusSportVP:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by chris_k:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by belacyrf:
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What on earth are you talking about? 4-2-1?

Our FS race header is 4-1 and has a very nice TIG welded collector.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Isn't the fs race header a 4-2-1??
Yeah the kamikaze has really short runners..

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Krmnnghia:
You need to get an 02 socket from your local Auto parts store. Usually you can rent it for free! I just boiught mine for 13 bucks and it has come in handy many times!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">KarmanGhia, are all 02 sensor sockets a standard size, or what socket size will i need to get? Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I'm often wrong and totally open to possibilities but that header design doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Why would you want the primaries so short? Especially since you are ditching a cat anyway-

Isn't it essentially duplicating a shorty plus cat eliminator pipe? Was that the intent?
the "fat" collector has the "turd" welds of someone trying to get alot done in a short time, at least as far I can see.......

Again, maybe power doesn't lie and it works great- it just *seems* to counter-intuitive to header design.

Good luck and let us know how it works....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts