Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kumho Ecsta 711\'s

I just got my Kumhos Ecsta 711's installed on friday, and after a weekend of driving on them, which consisted of 1 trip to work and other random running around the area, I like them.

They seem to grip nicely, they handle the rain good, as it rained saturday night.

I haven't gotten too crazy with them, as it's still in the break in period for the tires, but, so far, so good.

Thanks to the folks at TireRack for getting me the tires so quick, and of course for having great prices.

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
Re: Kumho Ecsta 711\'s

i've had 2 sets of these tires and a lot of the SD focus guys have had 'em for even longer before me. our overall consensus: one of the longest-lasting, cheapest low-profile tires out there, but not great for traction. they heat up pretty fast and lose grip. wierd thing is that they don't seem to ever make noise.

overall, though, an awesome daily driver tire for the $$$

Mike

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

Longest Lasting?
thats funny!

I've NEVER had a set last me over 15000 miles. They wear to the cords in NO TIME FLAT.

Bottom line: you get what you pay for. A <$60 tire may seem financially appealing... but in the long run it will cost you.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts

Longest Lasting?
thats funny!

I've NEVER had a set last me over 15000 miles. They wear to the cords in NO TIME FLAT.

Bottom line: you get what you pay for. A <$60 tire may seem financially appealing... but in the long run it will cost you.
Very true, mine went away real fast too. Pretty darn good street tires for $60 while they last.

·
Registered
964 Posts

Not really very impressed with them either and they tend to run a bit big for their size:

711 on the left, stock Firehawk on the right.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts

Longest Lasting?
thats funny!

Hey 15K is a long time.....for me. Grippier/more expensive tires last maybe 12K.

·
Resident Wheel-Whore
10,594 Posts

I've had my set for about 4 months. They work good for daily drivers, but I'm not that all impressed with them. I think my Yokohamas handled better.

And yeah, the sizes don't seem to be the same as other tires. My tires look huge, and there stock SVT ones. My Yokohama's were the same size, and there was more of a tread face to them.

·
Registered
993 Posts

mine got eaten up all on the inside because they are cheap and my car is lowered

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts

Sounds more like they were eaten up because your alignment was jacked.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

Sounds more like they were eaten up because your alignment was jacked.
Acutally I thought that would be the case as well... but when I went to check it... the alignment was within spec. (little more camber than usual, obviously) But my wear is even.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts

I am on my second set.....well second set of fronts...i didnt rotate them enough......

They suck for autoX i mean they flat out suck!

But on the street and in the rain they are great.

I loved my 712s but I am a broke bitch so i have to buy the 711s .....as they are the only tire worth a damn for my weird stock size of 195/50/16

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I ain't gonna be doing any autoX or anything with mine. They are to get me to and from work, and take me wherever else I may decide to drive. They will be rotated religiously, as are all my tires on my car. So, they will do the job for me for what I need them for, plus I was a broke bitch when I needed tires, so they were the ones for me.

·
Resident Wheel-Whore
10,594 Posts

Aww, crap!! You mean I gotta AutoX on crappy tires at JF? Dang it! LOL, another reason why my times will suck. HAHAHA

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

Aww, crap!! You mean I gotta AutoX on crappy tires at JF? Dang it! LOL, another reason why my times will suck. HAHAHA
I'll be right there with you auto-x'ing on 711's for the first time at JetFest. I've run them at three track weekends (10-1/2 hours total) and they hold up surprisingly well at speed. But, I'm not expecting much from them in a parking lot. Inside wheel spin here I come.

I've noticed that wear with these tires is very dependant on alignment. I wore out a pair of fronts in less than 1000 miles due to a front toe issue. But on the other hand, I've gotten three track days and about 10k miles on at least a pair of them.

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts

Longest Lasting?
thats funny!

Hey 15K is a long time.....for me. Grippier/more expensive tires last maybe 12K.
werd. show me a tire in 215/40/17 that wears any longer for the same $$$. with the alignment in spec, i have about 12K on mine with about half the tread left to go.

Mike

·
Registered
3,925 Posts

I like them better than my current Yokohama ES100's. The Yokos are noisy SOBs. The 711's don't last all that long, I got around 12k on mine. That would be 5 sets of tires for me in the past 2 years.

·
Almost choked on a Girl Scout ...cookie
16,227 Posts

I daily drive on the 711s, they are holding up just fine, about 6k on them and they look pretty much new.
Of course I have other wheels/tires for pushing hard, maybe that's the difference?

Oh yeah, I think they perform pretty well too, and I don't have to sweat if it's raining, I've had no problem with grip in the wet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts