Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... lookin through the entries.... and wondering why we need to have every class have a seperate "Ladies" class.

Its just plain horsecrap!

By doing so... you're saying Chicks and Doods can't compete on the same level. Blatantly sexist.

I know plenty of women drivers who would kick the ever living crap out of me... (and we're not just talkin OFF the track either!)

Point is... seems a little antequated to be pulling this stuff, no? Driving, specially Solo2, is not about physical strength, or endurance or anything at all that would give a man an advantage over a woman.

So tell me... why the seperate classes?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Maybe the ladies like having the friendly camaraderie and competitive spirit of having their own class to run.

Guys get a different feeling and have a different attitude in competition than (most) women do. Not really sure how to explain it being that I'm a guy lols.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
So tell me... why the seperate classes?
There has been a lot of debate on this over the years. The SCCA maintains that autocross is the entry level motorsport program and, in order to increase and maximize participation by women, it is felt that a seperate class, under the same rules, is the best way to minimize the intimidation factor.

I agree with it to, btw. I also think that there should be a juniors class for drivers under 21. Maybe available in only some of the more 'affordable' classes. No need for a juniors class in Super Stock! I understand that you can share a car with a parent, but, I want juniors to be for kids running their own car.

Of course, that could leave us with HS, HSL and HSJ. The SCCA Solo program is not short on classes, so I can see why it isn't done.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the point of classing was to get groups of like-vehicles together. That way, within a class, all other things being equal it comes down to who the better driver is.

Then I demand a "Novice" category for myself... who has never auto-x'd cuz I can't figure out all the damn stupid rules, and refuse to drive 120 miles to the closest event to work an hour to be able to drive for 200 seconds.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I thought the point of classing was to get groups of like-vehicles together. That way, within a class, all other things being equal it comes down to who the better driver is.

Then I demand a "Novice" category for myself... who has never auto-x'd cuz I can't figure out all the damn stupid rules, and refuse to drive 120 miles to the closest event to work an hour to be able to drive for 200 seconds.

There is a novice class.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
ladies and "Novice" classes are really club-dependent. for novice, sometimes they trophy them separately, sometimes they just give applause to the top novices after trophies, and sometimes they don't have anything of the sort. my clubs (West michigan SCCA and local club Furrin Group) don't currently do novice standings but probably will introduce it as a handclap sort of acknowledgement next year.

we also don't run ladies' classes, because we think it's unnecessary. even the women in our club think it's silly and actually demeaning to them. Nationals has to run the SCCA Solo rules for obvious reasons. i think i saw a woman in one of the regular classes for nats the other day...

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
bah, Todd and I side together. Weirdness.(i'm just playin bud) It's friggin demeaning as all hell to women. Brown v. board of education. Separate but equal is not equal. it doesn't matter who asks for the separation.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
bah, Todd and I side together. Weirdness.(i'm just playin bud) It's friggin demeaning as all hell to women. Brown v. board of education. Separate but equal is not equal. it doesn't matter who asks for the separation.
No, not really demeaning if you understand the intent. Driving and cars are considered male activities and a ladies class is a way to make sure that woman can compete as drivers not compete against years of stereotypes.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
the intent was not to demean of course, but the underlying result (even if unconcious) is that there is a gender divide in the one sport that almost fully removes the need for physical prowess to excel in the sport. there is a cultural paradigm in the west that considers automotive things to be the exclusive realm of men, and having a ladies class reinforces it. i suppose it's some consolation that there is some initiative to bring in women competitors, but we're about to get into an argument about affirmative action...

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
BUR, the thing is, Ladies classes are OPTIONAL for the Competitors, Not Required.
Ladies Do Not HAVE TO run in a Ladies Class. They may ELECT to.
The IDEA is to get more Wives/Girlfriends involved, by making them more comfortable with the level and nature of the competition. Many Ladies Elect to Run Ladies Classes, some do Not. Those running at Nationals know that competition MAY not be as Heavy, if only because there are fewer entrants in most cases.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then dammit... I want a "Novice blonde haired 5'11" driver that weighs over 225lbs" class!

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Novice classes are common, and I think they're a GOOD idea.
I can help you with that Hair-Color thing...

I really doubt there'd be much support for a "Phat Boyz" class....

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
hey michael, they make you carry ballast when you drive to even up the field?

what about men who don't like the competitive spirit? THey allowed to campaign in ladies class?

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
did you see that kinda hairy, REALLY tan girl with the build of a tight end and a deep voice at last year's nationals in the ladies class? She was driving a red SE. That was me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts