Ford Focus Forum banner

lakewood traction bar..................

1154 Views 16 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  MichaelXi
has anyone used this ans if so how does work? i have an svtf and im going to make it fit on way or another.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
fastraxturbo Jon from HKS has it on his car.

I'm sure you know what its used for...

but for those who don't its used to preload the suspension.

He's the only one that i can think of off the top of my head that uses it.
bump... anyone else???
I dont have one, but would definatly want one.
Bear in mind that this is primarily a drag piece.

It forces the front control arms to swing in a previously unintended arc, causing bind at various points of extension.

As a person who only uses my car to go around corners, I wouldn't want one myself.
Not "various" points... It would be "all points". The only way it can move is by deflecting the bushings.
I haven't had my morning coffee.
ummm, i pretty sure all they due is stop the control arms from moving back and forth. (the movement which causes the axle hop.) they dont impeed on the suspensions ablility to move and down, which is the only way they should move anyway. basically, in theary, if u had some stiff control arm bushings and or after market control arms, axle hop would stop.
From the pic I saw here last year, I'd say you're half right.

Unless he Lakewood arms telescope out as the arm travels upward, then it will bind.
See less See more
...and if they telescope out, they wouldn't restrict front to back motion.

So it is a bind situation. Tolerable? For a drag racer, perhaps.
My point exactly.
See less See more
What if you made the arm out of rubber so it could stretch, would it bind then?

See less See more
ummm, i pretty sure all they due is stop the control arms from moving back and forth. (the movement which causes the axle hop.) they dont impeed on the suspensions ablility to move and down, which is the only way they should move anyway. basically, in theary, if u had some stiff control arm bushings and or after market control arms, axle hop would stop.
Keep in mind that we have a MacPherson Strut setup up front.
Assuming that there is ZERO "Slop", the distance fore and aft STILL changes as the control arm goes through it's up/down arc.
If you attach this piece, that cannot happen properly.
Unless your car is only used for Drag, and SMOOTH Around-Town cruising, I'd advise against wasting your money.
Invest in having some Delrin Control Arm Bushings made.
Use the OEM arms. The tubular ones will work for drag or cruising, but not for anything aggressive.
See less See more
Invest in having some Delrin Control Arm Bushings made.
Then recoup your investment by selling them to others of us.
See less See more
does anyone sell control arm bushings for our cars??
No one sells Delrin bushings. Prothane and Energy Suspension both make polyurethane bushings. Urethane is softer and will need lubrication and replacement eventually, while Delrin will effectively last for the life of the car.
By Softer, he means softer than Delrin.
They are MUCH Firmer than the OEM rubber.
See less See more
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.