Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just on FS and noticed that they are now offering Lamin-x for tail lights. Anyone have it? How is fitment, how dark is it?

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
foo gurl zx3 or something like that has it. I know she posted pics of them at one time or another.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
very nice looking, just enough

wonder what the 65% looks because i have tried the static-cling 20% and it is wayyy too dark...very curious about the 65%

looks good, if u get a chance can we get some far away shots outside? maybe clean

-chris

·
Registered
3,398 Posts

That is the darker of the two. I'll get some night shots this weekend to show how much light it lets through.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
dam those are dark...thought they would be hella lighter than the 20% limo static cling tint...but they don't look like they are

please pics in lighter areas, and at night

·
Registered
293 Posts
A little OT - I just ordered some the other day in charcoal - I will check to see if mine are too short when they come in.

·
Registered
993 Posts
looks good, how much was it?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well I tried installing the cover tonight.. Still working on it but it developed bubbles that will NOT come out. In addition the handling tabs started tearing the main tint and the tint was oversized (I assume for trimming). Problem is it is very hard to get a straight cut with no support.

Do the very small bubbles come out? About the size of a pencil eraser? I could not get them out no matter what I tried. The instructions say that small ripples will come out as it dries.. I am a little skeptical. I am only doing the taillights because if they look like they do now I might as well throw them away (or attempt to get a refund). Please, some input from someone who has done these?!?

·
Registered
422 Posts
if the small bubbles dont go away, try stabbing it with a tiny needle to allow the air underneath to escape

·
Registered
293 Posts
if the small bubbles dont go away, try stabbing it with a tiny needle to allow the air underneath to escape
That's what I did and they (for the most part) wouldn't go. My guess is they are now permanent distortions in the plastic. It springs right back in to shape even with the tiny holes.

I'm not ready to give up but I am definitely not going to put crappy products on my car.. I guess I need to see if it's worth freaking out yet, by talking with someone on here who has done it. Off to try the other light...

Brian

·
Registered
293 Posts
did you wet the lamin-x and the tails during the installation?
Yes.

I just put the rest on and had less bubbles. I also had to trim them as they didn't fit exactly - however the trim job had them looking worse than before so I guess it would have been better to be ill fitting with smooth edges than cut to fit with somewhat rough edges.

It's about 70 degrees out so I am hoping the heat of the day and maybe a hairdryer (I don't have one) will stretch them out. But for now now looking good

·
Registered
422 Posts
i wish i could be over there and help you, but its impossible. i dont know what else to tell you until i see it for myself. sorry

·
Registered
293 Posts
i wish i could be over there and help you, but its impossible. i dont know what else to tell you until i see it for myself. sorry
Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it. I'll try to be patient I just don't want to drive around with it looking like it does... guess I'm a perfectionist

·
Registered
303 Posts
The small bubbles will disappear after the water underneath dries. It is like getting your windows tinted, sometimes there will be tiny bubbles after the job is done. I had about 4 and I was just patient and they disappeared.

Also, I did notice that it was hard to get the cover to line up correctly, but with a little patience I got them on there nice. If the tabs started to tear the product, you were pulling too hard. Did you put a little dish soap in the water you sprayed in the lights?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I got the smoked Lamin-x for my tails. I also got the smoked for the headlights.

is that also laminex on you head lights if so what % and how does the light shine through at night i was thinking of putting some of the 80% on my head lights and 65% on the rear.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts