Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
What are we looking for?
Classes? Names? Numbers?
I see various lap times, but I don't know which ones are pertinent.
:)

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a list of the Focus cars that were there. I don't have the car #s of any of them. The offical results will be out later.

TTU Tom Lesperance (Focus)
TTB William Finucan (Focus)
TTB Matt Jensen (Focus)
TTB John Giese (Focus)
TTC Matthew Dunlavey (Focus)
TTE Craig Capaldi (Focus)
TTE Andy Slankard (Focus) From Ford Racing
TTE Charles Fabros (Focus) From Ford Racing

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I Know that this wasn't THE "Shootout", but was there one Session that is being looked at, or best overall, or what?
I noticed that some sessions seemed significantly faster than others for nearly Everyone, despite a general consistency across the event if those one or two sessions were tossed out.
Is one of the Sessions the "Official Track Attack Session", or was it meant as a "Fun Event" with no Competition?
:)

Also, Am I correct that Tom turned in the Fastest Single Lap of the above mentioned Focus' with a 1:47 and change on Sunday?
NM, I see Matt Jensen (Massive?) turned in a slightly quicker 1:47.0+ on Saturday.

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
OK, this is from an .xls doc I made so the formatting is going to be funky. I'll try to do something better.

Driver Class Sat. Session 1 Sat. Session 2 Sat. Session 3 Sat. Session 4 Sun. Session 1 Sun. Session 2 Sun. Session 3 Sun. Session 4

Tom Lesperance TTU 2:02.821 no time no time 1:50.456 1:54.227 1:47.534 no time no time
William Finucan TTB no time no time no time no time no time no time no time no time
Matt Jensen TTB no time 1:51.233 no time no time no time no time no time no time
John Giese TTB 1:59.534 1:52.614 1:53.199 no time no time 1:52.918 1:57.014 1:55.524
Matthew Dunlavey TTC 2:06.917 1:57.722 1:56.179 4:03.563 no time no time no time no time
Craig Capaldi TTE no time no time no time no time 2:01.165 no time no time no time
Andy Slankard TTE no time no time no time no time no time no time no time no time
Charles Fabros TTE no time no time no time no time no time no time no time no time

Sat. Warmup Sat. Qualifying Sat. Race Sun. Warmup Sun. Qualifying Sun. Race
Leo Capaldi Spec Focus 1:57.873 1:53.176 1:51.850 no time 1:51.880 1:50.662

Fastest times marked in Bold.

Notes about above times:

William Finucan apparently didn't have a transponder
Matt Jensen did shakedown for Massive. Will see if they moved him to a different class or if someone else was driving.
Craig Capaldi, Andy Slankard and Charles Fabros were all driving the car marked "Ford Racing 2" (the black ZX5) or Leo's Spec Focus "Ford Racing 2". So, their times aren't connected to their names. I can have Leo look at the lap sheets we were doing from the pit wall to get their fastest times.

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
BadIdea said:
I'd say 4 tuners showed up and they finished in this order:

Focus Power 1:47
Massive 1:49
LC Racing 1:50
PowerWorks 1:57

Matt (Massive) was also driving his EVO.
That looks about right. And yes, Matt Jensen's other times were in his EVO.

IMPORTANT INFO: The cars were all drastically different, as this was no longer a "shootout".

LCRacing/Ford Racing were stock 2.3L Duratec cars with CAI, Header and Cat-backs only.

Massive was a custom turbo 2.0L Zetec putting out around 265HP? (Karl please correct me if I'm wrong).

COSDEVSVT's Powerworks car was never dynoed, but thought to be in the same area as Massive's (once again please correct me if I'm wrong).

FocusPower's cars were somewhere above 350HP+ (a guesstimate).

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
focaljet-1 said:
I think Craig Capaldi plus Andy and Charles from Ford Racing got into the 1:52 - 1:53 range.

Remember though, these times were in basically STOCK 2.3L Duratecs with just a couple of bolt-ons. :eek:

And Leo's Sunday race pace must have been unbelievable at 1:50!
Well... stock if you consider stock a full cage, 2600 weight with driver, race tires, race suspension and I think better brakes :)

Couple that with the incredible driving skills of the Capaldis :lol: WOW!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also believe that Greg Greenbaum was driving some of those sessions in the black FRPP Car.

Yeah, Leo drove the wheels off the Spec Focus. On Sunday he beat all the Spec Neon's (pretty easy), and beat like 70% of the Spec Miatas. Also, this isn't even a fully prepped Spec Focus. There more he can do to it.... Like taking off some weight.

Plus he beat a Mazda3 SSC car that finish 3rd in the SCCA run-offs. Very good showing for the Spec Car.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Our Sunday 1.49 was misclassed as TTA here:

http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=297247

We really only had 3-4 sessions the whole 3 days. Most of the time the car was being wrenched on. To be expected though as the car was basically a new car top to bottom with about 300 shakedown miles. When she was good, it really got moving fast. Im sure with some more lap time we may have caught the bullet fast Focus-Power car ;)

Gotta thank Tom too for stopping by and offering his expertise on several occasions. Much appreciated and utilized advice!!! Thanx man! :)

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
K STYLEZ said:
Well... stock if you consider stock a full cage, 2600 weight with driver, race suspension and better brakes :)

Couple that with the incredible driving skills of the Capaldis :lol: WOW!
I was just explaining the engines were stock. Specifics on the 2 cars:

Leo's sedan is gutted and has a cage. It does have the stock dash and a/c ducting etc. But yes, 2600lbs w/driver.

The ZX5 does not have a cage and has a passenger race seat and pretty much a full interior (except a rear seat). Radio, A/C, etc.

Both cars have the FRPP "Multimatic" suspension which is on par with the RS, great kit and inexpensive for Spec Focus. But, not quite a full race suspension. ;)

The cars were running SVT/ST brakes with aggressive pads. That's it.

So, in other words, being a professional driver makes a difference. :D

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
K STYLEZ said:
Cool, I figured something was wrong when I couldn't find at least one more time for you guys.

And Karl's right, they didn't get the track time necessary to sort the car, so I know there was more time to be shaved.

I drove the car and it was very strong.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keep in mind these are just raw times. The Ohio TT Director will sort through them and post the offical times for the event this week.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Tom said his driving style kept overcoming the traction of the front tires :lol:

Something else about how nice the gravel was on the sides of the track.. :lol:

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
OrangeSVT03 said:
Tom said his driving style kept overcoming the traction of the front tires :lol:
Something about a detuned engine that's still pushing 340fwhp makes that easy to believe.
He tells me that car has dyno'd at 540 at elevated boost and octane, but he lowered it to around 340 for the conditions and still had trouble hooking up.
:eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a blast playing on the track with Leo in the Spec Foci. I wish I would have had my in-car camera installed, I have never seen anybody trailbrake and get the car to rotate in turn 7 like Leo did, it was awesome!! I learned a lot following him around the track. I'm stuck in showroom stock C right now with a major investment, but if I go anywhere else it will be to SF. Thanks again to Leo and Andy for the hospitality!

Brett Mars
#31 Allegheny Ford Trucks/Kryderacing Mazda3 SSC

1 - 20 of 39 Posts