Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I Drive a Focus.
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I'd ask you guys. My car is going to have to be remote tuned because Randy is 2,500 away and Fernando is 1,500 if you consider it Orlando or 1,700 if we're talking PR. I have a Macbook and a Xcal2. I'm almost positive their software is windows only so should I partition my hard drive via Bootcamp/Parallels/etc. or pick up an old cheap windows laptop with XP or newer to do my catalogs?

-Matt

·
Registered
819 Posts
Everyone i know that datalogs uses a cheap, but not too cheap netbook. Around $400. And they are all windows XP. Im sure you can grab a cheap one or even a good refurbed one for a good price.

·
Registered
940 Posts
For datalogging, I bought a refurbed Dell laptop with windows VISTA off of ebay for $240 bucks. There are alot of
them on there too for that price and under. It had a 250GB hard drive and 2GB RAM, (same as my Macbook) so
the memory was more then enough for datalogging. You want to make sure the computer has enough memory,
or your datalogs become very hard for Randy to read.

·
Bacne..
2,690 Posts
You guys shop for ****.
I bought a brand new laptop from Wal-Mart for $390. Windows 7, 17" screen, etc, etc.
If I'm buying something I would like to get more use out of it than a paperweight for 95% of the time.

You don't need a blazing fast machine. But as things slow so should the cost.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314110
$350 and plenty of room and speed.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I use a Mac, I simply put in a bigger hard drive and used BootCamp to put Windows on a small part of it. The only thing I use that "dark side" for is for the SCT Pro Racer. Works just fine, seems to me if you already have the Mac, a 1 TB hard drive would be cheaper than another laptop.

Of course, I could be wrong; it's just my opinion.

Denny

·
Go ahead - ask me how Chalz' huge, bulging, fearle
3,240 Posts
Personally I use an old Acer Aspire One netbook for engine stuff. I bought it brand new about 5 years ago but last year I wiped the hard drive and re-installed windows from it's hidden partition. Since then all I've done is install Chrome and a whole mess of different ECU tuning programs. It's stupid lightweight and can easily slip into a tank bag or a large cargo pants pocket. With the lid closed it will stay running long enough for about 10 hours of data logging on battery alone. In used condition they're cheep cheep cheap. Can be found for less than a Benjamin online.

·
I Drive a Focus.
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I switched back to Mac after my 1 year and 1 day old HP decided a heatsink on the motherboard wanted to let go thus rendering the $500 laptop useless unless I wanted to pay $300 for a new board. I have a 2008 Macbook that's wiped clean with a 500gb hard drive and like 488 useable gigs. Seems like that'd be more than enough for data logging if I ran bootcamp/parallels or something of the like. I'll look into that acer laptop too. I'm not really needing the laptop for anything more than a paperweight anyway at this point.

Say I'm using a laptop solely to data log, what's sufficient memory/hard drive.

-Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts