Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you use a larger radiator from a used vehicle on our focus? Im Supercharged and would like better cooling and wouldnt mind junkyard hunting for one. I just do not have the cash for a Fluidyne as of now..

·
Registered
83 Posts
I went with the PWR Aluminum one....price isn't all that bad, cheaper than fluidyne and its big compared to stock.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
I'm not 100% certain what you mean.
You can't just grab a radiator out of any old car and stick it in your focus. You need a focus radiator otherwise you're going to have major fitment issues.

I too am using the PWR, still not cheap but cheaper than the fluidyne and I would venture a guess and say it performs just as well or better.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Where do you find PWR cheaper than Fluidyne? CFM has Fluidyne for $400... I was just searching the web for PWR and didn't see cheaper than $468, I think it was... at any rate definitely not sub $400???

Oh BTW, either way I would gladly pay more for best quality and design available... price isn't a factor to me when choosing between like items.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
395.00 for the PWR here. I got mine on sale for 325.00
http://www.mmrusa.com/pwrperf.htm

Now with that said, if I had found the fluidyne for the same price as the PWR from a sponsor I'd have gone with the fluidyne. I still would prefer the PWR over the fluidyne however.. my reasons are best explained by a post I made some time ago.

Well I already bought the PWR, but I just wanted some reassurance and wanted some realistic expectations. The deal was to good to pass up.

I will say this, for all of the great things I've heard about the fluidyne, I'm not a huge fan of their marketing statement about their radiator for the SCC community

Here is their marketing offering for the SCC radiator:
Looking good is as important as going fast. Replacing your stock radiator with FLUIDYNE's highly polished, all-aluminum radiator will enhance any engine compartment and score points with the judges or ... whoever! Whether your look is chromed, anodized or color-matched, our radiators will make the view under the hood "Racey and High-Tech

And this is what PWR says:
As your engine makes power it also makes heat. PWR's radiators feature all aluminum construction including end tanks and cores. They are thicker than the stock radiators but are designed to be a direct fit including usage of the stock fans. This means better heat transfer, cooler, and more consistent temperatures. If you plan to race your car at all, drag race or road race, then upgrading your cooling system is a must! When turning up the boost on a turbo car or maximizing your all-motor set up, a PWR radiator will keep your coolant temperatures in check. Polished aluminum makes them nice to look at also

I mean from a performance perspective, which would you buy? I just wanted to hear from anyone who could possibly let me know any real life issues with the PWR.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Wow, that is a great price. Oddly they list the MSRP at $429, where at least one other vendor listed it as $499.

HERE is an exchange I had with Fluidyne a week or two ago.

Bela after reading the specs in the link, does the Fluidyne sound about the same as yours?

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Rod.. yes it sounds very similar to the PWR. However the PWR core thickness is 1.5" not 1.59" so it appears the fluidyne is a bit thicker which of course should allow more coolant. As far as surface area I can't see anything much bigger than the PWR so I'd bet the fluidyne is very similar in size. I dont think you could go wrong with either.

Just FYI.. I can "easily" keep my ECT's below 200 with the fans, and if I dont use the fans at all on a 80 degree day doing 1 WOT pull through 3rd into 4th, my temps barely brake 210. Now of course if I kept working the car, the temps would still go up, but this radiator is a huge improvement. I use this PWR, with the FAL fans and a 180* therm. The fans are for space savings, yes they really move alot of air, but if the stockers had fit, I dont think there would be much of a decrease in performance. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
What I would be wondering is if they all have the same fins per inch or not. I modified a universal 3-core alluminum radiator to fit in my focus but it only has 14 fins per inch which is less than the stock radiator.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
The PWR on my car fit fine, there is a slot on the bottom of the radiator. That slot had to be milled and widened a small bit, but that could be a differnece from the SVT to ZX3 or it might have just been the way the radiator was. Either way it was a quick fix and it fit perfectly.

·
Registered
894 Posts
What about the FC one? I know it's expensive, just curious how it stacks up agains PWR and Fuildyne.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Griffin also makes a Focus radiator. I think they run about $325 regular price.
Is anyone running one?

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
I think there rheacer is running a griffein radiator, but his has an integrated oil cooler. He has since developed a pin size hole in one portion which is causing a small leak of oil into his coolant.

Not saying this is representing how good/bad griffin is, I'm just relaying the story.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My car has 99 thousand miles on it. How bad of shape do you think the stock radiato is? Would it be a better idea to just replace it with a brand new stock one for the time being?

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
That's a deal and Oscar knows his stuff, i would definately have purchased that one assuming the specs are equal. The biggest thing for me is the added coolant capacity!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts