Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not long ago I added the Focus RS wheels to my SVT/RS project car and I am feeling the need for increased breaking power. I do not have a plethora of money at the moment, thus the Brembo GT Big Break kit is out (but would be nice!). What should a guy on a budget get to meet daily driving and autocross needs?

Cheers,

-Ian

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
Todd can build you just about any type, size, specification wilwood kit you can imagine

I've talked to him several times and his offerings are far better then anything else out on the market.

f2focus.com is gathering quite a collection of brake kits as well but Todds are much more customizable.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I like F2's offering just because the idea of Mustang Cobra parts on a Focus amuses me. But they're still pricey.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
The reason I'd go with TCE, if I were to upgrade my brakes, is because that man knows brakes better than anybody. If you order from him, you will be guaranteed to have brakes that perfectly suit your application and work exactly as you expect. As we have seen, you can't say that about some of the other big brake kits out on the market. Big brakes may look great, but if they don't work properly that's sure allot of money to spend on bling.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Todd rules:

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/

In order to improve upon stock SVT braking, you'll need to spend some real cash, unfortunately.

(Brakes, BTW. Breaks are what you get when you hit potholes.)
Jebus, good call on the spelling. Don't know WHAT got into me. Thanks for the advice on the BRAKES, I'll send Todd an email and see what he can offer.

Cheers,

-Ian

·
Registered
748 Posts
BTW: The FSL caliper for the kit is now available in RED! For and additional $125 however.

But....I'll tell you what; First one to order a kit with them can have them for no extra charge. IF we can have a finished pic for the web page (which needs some serious updates, sorry)

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I can attest to Todd's setup. Simply amazing. None of the shortfalls of the other guys.

Anybody who will tell you cross-drilled rotors are not for performance, is an honest guy who knows what he's talking about.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
What you need is your brakes photographed on a race track like the Nuerburgring or Hockenheimring. What better to say your parts are used on the Rings of Germany!

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
You can get more braking with better pads.
THIS deserves repeating.
If you want more details, ask, or search, but you can get ALOT more braking than you have right now with a simple pad upgrade.

EDIT:.... WAITAMINNIT....
Let me ALSO Stress the fact that brake upgrades are WORTHLESS without adequate TIRES.
If the brakes you HAVE will lock the tires (in the dry), you CANNOT utilize ANY More brake than you already have without upgrading the Rubber FIRST. if you're at that threshold, upgrade your pads. If the tires could STILL accomodate MORE braking, or if you NEED more surface area to dissipate heat because of Extended on-track sessions, THEN upgrade the entire rotor/knuckle/caliper/etc.
Otherwise, you're jumping the gun based on an assumption of need.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
How do I get pretty-colored rotors like that?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
1. Step on pedal to the right for a long time.
2. Step on pedal in the middle real hard.
3. Repeat as necessary until desired rotor color is achieved.

Pretty sweet pic Todd.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
1. Step on pedal to the right for a long time.
2. Step on pedal in the middle real hard.
3. Repeat as necessary until desired rotor color is achieved.

Pretty sweet pic Todd.
Yup,
That's how it's done.

The faster you go with step one, and the greater the transition to step two, the less step three is necessary.
I've done it with my Focus, but it cooked the wheel-bearing grease.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts