Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I need some help figuring my new exhaust set-up. I want the hp and torque gains but I also want to be "legal" on the road and not obnoxiously loud. I live in California and if I'm not mistaken we have some wicked emission laws. I don't need big gains just enough to tap into when I need it especially since this is my daily driver and I don't do any racing....

So here it goes....

I was planning on getting a street header, flex pipe and exhaust system. Should I add the random tech cat or wait till others come out? Keeping in mind the HP gains, "street legality," and volume what's my best bet? I do understand ofcourse that there's no way I'm going to be anything close to stock in terms of loudness. Thanks in advance guys and gals...

·
Registered
18 Posts
some exhaust systems even with a cat will still be loud. but if you want somthing that is going to look good and put some good numbers out i would go with the hks hyper. it puts out good numbers and has a nice deep tone to it.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
HKS is rather expensive, I'm a fan of the Bosal system, great looks, GREAT PRICE, also, the MBRP has good reviews.....but my personal fav will never be the popular choice...the Pacesetter

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
If you want to keep noise down and get a nice sounding system, you can't beat the HKS. Ya, it's a bit more spendy (I got mine for a tad under $450.00 shipped) but it sounds so nice and mellow. You could most likely run a race header on this cat-back and STILL have a low noise exhaust. I'm thinking of adding a header cuz it's *too* stickin' quiet.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
you didn't mention if you wanted to maintain a stock look, tho. while some people don't mind that can hanging under the bumper, I wanted something less intrusive - so I went with the Thermal. it's damned quiet and it looks near-stock, too! (anybody who knows about the focus will be able to tell... those that don't will think that it's just a shiny tip on a stock exhaust.) not to mention that dyno numbers showed it gave one of, if not THE, best gains of any exhaust at that time. the dyno showed a comparison between the Thermal and the Vibrant and the numbers were VERY similar, but the thermal is much quieter. I've yet to see dyno numbers for any other exhaust, tho the individual company sites may have something.

you could also try the focussport "quiet" exhaust. the few reviews I've read on it state that it is one of the quietest available.

as far as street legality, you can go with the random or the bosal hi-flow cat. I don't think there's really any difference other than maybe the way it looks and the manufacturer of the product. I haven't seen any prices for the bosal, however...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Here's my vote for the HKS. If any one doesn't like it, it's because they've never heard it. Get the HKS w/ Shorty or Race headers and you've got a perfect combo.

-jesse

·
Registered
542 Posts
Wow, alot of votes for the HKS. I personally don't like the crooked pointing muffler more commonly seen on RX7's and Supra's or the fact that it hangs under the rear suspension. I have also never heard one.

My vote goes for anyone of the following, Bosal, Borla, Thermal, Magnaflow and yodude. Some of these can be had for under or close to $ 300 from FJ sponsors.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i know this is corny asking but does it sould some what like the Supra in fast and the furious b/c i think that is the prettiest sounding exhaust i ever heard and it wasn't loud and obnoxious it was low and beautiful some one pleae tell me if it sould like that if it does then it is as good as bought

·
Registered
144 Posts
try apex-i.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
FS Quiet system is wonderful...ive had it on for a little under a month now and have made a few 5 hour drives. absolutely NO drone on the freeway, and just enough sound to notice it in the city. if you're accelerating WOT, you hear the exhaust for about 1.5 seconds and then intake takes over (for me anyway). and its noticable outside at idle...almost silent inside. i too am thinking of getting a header to make it a touch louder. but its completely quiet...i compare it to a BMW system or other "sporty stock" systems. of course it doesn't sound like a straight-6, but you get the point

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've got the FS raceheader/flexpipe combo, borla cat-back system, and AEM shortie intake. Before I got the header/flexpipe I could hear my intake more than I could the borla exhaust in daily driving. Post-header intallation.....my car is now louder than God at WOT!!!!

Alot of people say the Borla system is way too loud, cop-magnet loud....But I've never been pulled over and unless you really get on it, it's pretty quiet actually. Then again, maybe it has just ruined my hearing.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow! Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. Yes I do want to keep a the stock look a.k.a. "with out the can" lol! I should be legal with the FS or Ford racing street header right?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Check the websites on the FS and Ford Racing header for the C.A.R.B approval. I have the Thermal exhaust and the sound is noticable, but not too loud. I got mine from www.newedgeperformance.com

Enjoy whatever exhaust you decide on, and also, Welcome To The Jet!!!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Originally posted by big blue focus:
try apex-i.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">nooo0 try

Greddy Power Extreme exhaust system from the fast and furious website showing the mods done to the car....does anyboy have this exhaust set up at all

·
Registered
316 Posts
well let em
roll b/c that is the best sounding exhaust i hve heared to date not too loud but just deep enough unless some 1 else has something comparable to that then i will buy until then no better sound than that

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I'll let you all know soon what it's going to be. I'm looking to get these and installed in atleast 2 weeks time. Thanks for all your help, and I'm sure all the other peeps asking the same question appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
anyones car will sound awesome if they have the sound ppl doctoring theyre car up. its movie stuff. the car probably sounds good but not to the degree we hear.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
greddy doesn't make an exhaust for the focus. keep that in mind. if you get anything from greddy and put it in your focus, then it's not made for your car and you won't notice the gains that a tuned setup with yield.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts