Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Uh, I have to firmly disagree with the soldering comment, the parts can last forever done like that, I've had no trouble at all. I've used that copper pipe bypass made up of 7 parts on two cars with a combined total of well over 20 years use. Simple soldering to make them. I've also soldered up many transition pieces to allow for bulk straight hose to be used to not have to buy preformed specialty hose that commonly have one end be bigger than the other. It can save hundreds, I save a $100 bill doing that on a single Focus as compared to using OEM motorcraft hoses. The only hoses I buy are the upper and lower main rad hoses, all else is bulk straight hose only. Doing the same now to my Nissan.

The only thing you can't do is get the soldered part too close to exhaust heat. Most solder has to get to at least 450+ to yield under temperature. Before aluminum composite radiators showed up all rads were soldered brass and copper and very low trouble with them. The only reason we don't use them now is they are too heavy (fuel mileage thing).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts