Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I noticed I was leaking tranny fluid out of the driver's half shaft. Thought it was the seal ring so I had ford replace it. The day I got it back it was still leaking but now worse so I scheduled a new appointment. I just got back from Ford on lunch and found out I have play (slop) in the shaft where it meets the tranny. The pass side is fine but the driver's side is bad.

What would cause this, how can it be fixed? The tech thinks it may be a bushing but he was on lunch when I was up there and couldn't talk to him. My buddy tried to look up a bushing for the tranny or anything that would hold the shaft straight but came up with nothing in the parts list.

Please help, I'm supposed to go to JetFest with my car but right now the chances look very dim of the focus making it. I hate to see my baby like this, does anyone know what part would cause this, is it replaceable, or am I looking at a new tranny?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
It would help if you identified what type of tranny you have. Also, the shaft seal is in fact the most likely culprit. If they scored it or knocked it lose while reinserting the axle, you would see a large leak.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah sorry, I got an MTX-75. The original thought was after I got the car back and it was leaking that the tech ripped or gouged the seal when putting the shaft back in.

I dropped the car off this morning to have the seal replaced again and the guy working on my car this time noticed play in the shaft. So he checked the passenger side and didn't notice any play at all. So something holding the shaft in place is loose allowing it to move even though fully inserted into the tranny.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
My guess is that the shaft is not all the way in. It requires a lot of effort to engage the expansion ring. Either that, or the ring was lost upon removal.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh that would be sooooooo nice if was just missing the ring or not all the way in. How does that old saying go, hope for the best but prepare for the worst. So if the shaft was missing the ring or not properly seated in the tranny would that allow the shaft up and down, side to side movement?

I'm sorry for all the questions, I just don't know much about transmissions, some, but not enough.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully this is the problem then, I guess I'll know more once they pull the shaft and see. Thank you so much for easing my mind and shedding light onto this dark subject for me. I'll keep this updated with any new info I get from Ford. Thanks a million again!

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
the tech manual advises to replace the ring every time the shaft is removed. Most people dont do this but that is the approved procedure. if it was missing, worn, or not fully engaged, it will leak. I did it once before. thought I had the shafts in and started adding fluid.... big F'n puddle.

·
TEAM Member
939 Posts
....their is no bush ,the drive shaft slides inside the diff unit.Before a new clip etc is fitted the tech must chack the splines on both the shaft and diff.Running with no clip/loose shaft will cause the splines to fret and could cause another 'loss of drive' failure down the road..........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts