Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let me get yall\'s opinion

I told my father what i wanted to do to my car and he asked me why. he said i should get an 8 cylinder engine if i wanna soup it up. I told him its more fun to soup up a 4 cylinder engine, 8 are too easy. What is yall's opinion on that.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Re: let me get yall\'s opinion

with a V8 your goal is to stuff as much fuel and air as possible into the engine...i did it its fun, but i love workin on my 4 banger cause its a matter of technology and efficiency...almost the same idea but its up to date...what we are doing is our generations version of Hot Rodding...V8's were theres...same way when our kids are our age they'll be modding a different version of car...and that would be odd to us...

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

i told him soupin up a v8 is boring, its more fun doin it to a 4cyl. takes a little more ingenuity and money but it is worth it i think.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Nothing pays beating a V-8 with a 4 cyl.... I wish i ever did that with my car...(Not including big trucks). How fun is it to see a decked out GT disapear in your mirror after 2nd gear.... I beat one by far driving my boy's GTI 1.8 T with a T3 kit... sweet!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

It's the technology that gets us where we want to go, not just brute strength and cubic inches. I agre, nothing better than a souped up 4 cyl thta can beat an 8!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

I would have loved to see a 4 cylinder beat my V8. Unfortunately I don't have it anymore, but it was a hell of a lot more fun to work on and mod. More room and plenty of mod options. Don't get me wrong, I love my svtf and it will be fun to work on once we have more products available to us. However, having a 10 sec everyday street car made it fun when the imports and 4 cylinders came up next to me!

·
Registered
645 Posts

Just tell him you want to be able to afford to drive it too! MPG

·
Registered
745 Posts

i was runnin a 360 v8 with a biga$$ 4bbl and i was gettin 10-13 mpg...it was costing me $250 a months to keep fuel in the tank...

·
Registered
161 Posts

Put the same money into a V8 and into a 4 and you'll see a V8 car waving bye-bye to the four banger.

That said, it's much easier to balance a car for handling without all the weight of a heavy engine in the front (or rear, as the case may be).

Those claiming mileage as a reason to go with a four have apperently not looked into V8 cars recently. A WS6 (that's the ram-air, high-output model, for those who don't know) firebird will pull down about 30 MPG on the highway. My Focus S2, with UDP, CAI, and K&N filter (all mods that *improve* mileage) can get maybe 32-33 highway. Guess which one will get its butt soundly kicked in a drag race (hint, it's the Focus)? The pontiac will handle nearly as well as the S2, too. At least I'm saving 75 cents on gas every month, though!

Sure, the firebird cost about $30 new. Put another $16K into the Focus and you still won't have the torque and power that the V8 had bone stock. It's not "more of a challenge" to make power with the 4, it's just a different challenge, and a different *scope*. This little thing will never be in the same league as a *similarly prepped* V8 car, so it's pointless to directly compare the two.

That said, I've got 4 V8 Chevys (one with a big block) and one I4 Ford. I drive the Focus every day and enjoy nearly every minute of it.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Put another $16K into the Focus and you still won't have the torque and power that the V8 had bone stock.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I beg to differ, 16 grand will make a focus at least as fast as a WS6. There are guys on this forum that are running 13's (what a WS6 runs), with bolt-ons and a nice shot.

Heck, even a V-8 swap costs about that much and a 347 in a Focus will handly beat even a modified muscle car.

Back to why I modify my focus:

I look at it this way, when my dad was my age he had a 69 Mach 1 with a 351. It ran 15.9 stock, he did not modify it much but it was a muscle car in one of its purest forms. After about 1200 dollars in mods to my focus, I can pull a 15.7, sport compacts are the muscle cars of our generation.

I picked the focus, because I liked it in its stock form and thought I could do better.

We are treading new ground here, that is what makes it fun. Any idiot can make a Mustang or Camaro run 12's. But it takes a serious attempt to run a focus into the 12's. I have a lot more respect for Tom than ANY V-8 running 10's (the same, roughly, 4 second improvement).

My best friend has a 93 Cobra, he runs low 13's and it is a blast to drive. I love the raw power that v-8's offer, but everyone and their mom tells him what to do next, because everyone and their moms have modified a 5.0. THAT is why I like the focus.

[ 11-14-2002, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: BlueZTS ]

·
Registered
164 Posts

The thing about this generation of muscle cars is the immense amount of technology coming from all over the globe. There is more competition with companies all over the world competing for our hard earned money. Nothing is sweeter than when you can take a 12-13k car, put a little bit of money in it, and crush more expensive sport models. The cost of modding a 4 banger isn't drastically more than hooking up an 8, just more options come with the 8.
Personally I love the focus for it's handling, which is a MUST for dodging deer and other wildlife around here.

In the end, it's up to you how you want to hook up your car. There is more than enough help through this website for any zetec need. My advice is stick to the zetec.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Originally posted by BlueZTS:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Put another $16K into the Focus and you still won't have the torque and power that the V8 had bone stock.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I beg to differ, 16 grand will make a focus at least as fast as a WS6.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It won't have the same streetable power, though, and low-end torque is what matters in the stoplight-to-stoplight traffic a driveable car will see. Full race cars can use whatever's most entertaining - if you throw enough money at it, anything can be fast.

Anyway, I'm not arguing *against* modifying 4 bangers. I considered the Focus for two reasons - it was cheap to buy new, and has a strong aftermarket. I bought the focus because it's american made. Modifying anything that rolls is cool. The thing I take offense at is the ludicrous claims that "ay idiot can make a V8 car fast", and the associated implication that somehow that's *bad*.

V8 cars usually weigh more than a sport "compact". They're generally less aerodynamic. They usually handle like poop. A 10-second car is pretty darned fast. I'm impressed by a street-driven car that runs in the 10s, and by someone making a signifigant improvement in their car over stock. Sometimes those are the same cars, but really, a 15-second Focus would be a fast Focus. It's not a truly fast car, but it's a big improvement. That is what makes modifying *any* car cool.

BTW, I spent $300 on my caprice, and maybe a grand on the engine and wheels+tires. It runs 14s, seats 5 comfortably, and has shiny chrome wheels. I'm not sure if a four could do the same on just one paycheck.

·
Registered
75 Posts

"streatable power" is all relative... I can hang with my friend with the 13 sec. Cobra on the street until we hit about 50 simply because he can't get traction in first and second. Once he hits third though, good bye! (This is on street tires.)

I also believe that Tom's 12 second focus is driven every day, or at least can be.

It is hardly a "ludicrous" claim that anybody can make a v-8 run 12's (when I say v-8 I mostly mean f-body and mustang) because it has been done a million times. I mean no offense to anyone running a 12 second pony car, but they are a dime a dozen, compared to a 12 second 4-banger.

I am also impressed by any 10 sec. street car. But I am more impressed by a 12 sec. street driven focus. (Because as far as I know there is only 1!!)

BTW, I love the caprice project... I wanted to do the same thing. I saw a 12.9 caprice that only 1200 total was spent on the car (gotta love the juice), it looked like crap but was fast as hell.

·
Registered
847 Posts

V8 = summer driving only (depending where you are), expensive gas guzzler.

turbo Focus = cheap, good on gas, and extremely satisfying when beating cars that cost double the $$$ stock

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

cant count how many times Ive beat 8 cyl cars...the bigger they are the harder they fall.

·
Registered
354 Posts

I bought my focus because i couldn't aford a truck for the winter and a sports car for the summer. There is no way in hell I'd be driving a mustang in january!

·
Registered
161 Posts

Originally posted by BlueZTS:
I also believe that Tom's 12 second focus is driven every day, or at least can be.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ok, I stand corrected. *That* is pretty cool. Is he juiced, or is it real "all power all the time" power?

It is hardly a "ludicrous" claim that anybody can make a v-8 run 12's (when I say v-8 I mostly mean f-body and mustang) because it has been done a million times. I mean no offense to anyone running a 12 second pony car, but they are a dime a dozen, compared to a 12 second 4-banger.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I see. There's where my argument comes from. I've got a '75 El Camino, a '70 Chevelle) did you say "dime a dozen"
), an '80 caprice, and an '85 3/4 ton Chevy. They're all V8s, and it took some real work to get most of them going fast. You're right - going fast in a pony car isn't much of a feat. I just about bought a new LT1 camaro before I got the Chevelle, and I was mad as heck when I found out how fast those things really are from the factory. I thought, "It takes me months of tuning to get my 30-year-old car to do this, and I barely get 2/3 the mileage".
The same thoughts occurred while I was test driving the new mustang.

So, in that context, I agree. Making a V8 (where V8 implies "pony car" or 'vette) go fast isn't impressive. Making a car that wasn't fast before is.

Well, back to making a christmas wishlist that consists mostly of go-fast parts for my Focus.
BTW, the_enemy_within, making your Focus go fast is every bit as cool as making a slow V8 go fast.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts

to me 4 bangers are the sports cars of our generation. For example in drag racing. Lots of teams are developing a platform that runs off a 4 banger because they've done just about everything that can be done to the V-8 platforms. I personally am not a big fan of big engines. I like high output, high reving engines. My dad and i were discussing this over the weekend. He and I were talking about the first car i'll buy once im done w/ school. he said he could see me in a corvette. I said nope...i'd wrather have an s2000. He said why? I said I love the high reving engine. Dont get me wrong the corvette is a great car....but just not my style.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts