Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let\'s Get it Right..once and for all...

I bought an A/f guage today and will install it tomm. I have read about 15 different threads on this site about which wire to install the sensor wire to. No consesus can be made...White wire, black wire, pre cat, post cat..I would like to know which is the correct wire to attach to that reads the mixture of the A/F. I am planning on intalling it in a really cool location and will post pics when I'm done, I just want to be ready to know which wire to get to when I install tomm...Peace

Lox

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Re: Let\'s Get it Right..once and for all...

I was doing a search on another subject tonight and saw this info-don't remember who posted it-connect it to the ECU side of the 4 wire plug connector coming from the first sensor.
When I installed mine, I used my digital multimeter to check voltages on the four wires until I found the one that peaked at about 1.5 vdc-thats top range of the voltage output from the sensor.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts

I got mine mounted above the glove box. I installed all the wires except the purple wire..

I believe it goes to the #60 pin on the ECU but I havent got that far to actually look and see exactly where it goes

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

So Nordy which color did you hook up to???

Lox

[ 01-07-2003, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: BloxZX3 ]

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I'm bumpin this up, and guys please just tell me if you know for sure, I have got a couple PM's that are like, if I remember...I mean come on, some one out there has istalled one and done it the right way, not just guessed. I am looking for real help, not just guesses...Thanks..Peace

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

I didn't gues whith mine-I checked voltages before I installed it on the white wire. The output goes from .5 to 1.5vdc on a properly functioning O2 sensor. That's the only way if your'e not 100% sure whic wire to use.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

Its the white wire on the factory side of the upper O2 connector/ wire loome. Use wire taps dont cut it!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Sweet, no disrespect to Nordy I appreciate your answer it was some others that just left me open ended..I don't have a multimeter thingy so...anyway I'll post the pics when i am done today. It should be pretty tight if I can get it where i want it..Peace

Lox

·
Registered
157 Posts

Do it the easy way and run it to pin 60 on the ECU. It's a solid white wire.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts

ahhhhhhhhhhh....PRECAT...WHITE...DONT cut a O2 sensor wire and DONT solder it, it messes the signal up, tap it...

Thats the only way to do it, the right way to do it, the way you WILL do it

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

when you say "tap it", do you mean with a scotch lock? where you put the wire through and then put the other wire in and smush the flap over cutting into both wires? or do you mean strip a portion of the white wire and strip the end of your sensor wire and then connect and seal them up?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I have decided to tap it on the O2 sensor...I tired to get the PCM out and couldn't do it..Not only that but For me it was just easier to run it through the fire wall...Peace..Pics to come tomm or next day..Lox

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Guys....I have it hooked up and pulling readings, at Idle it jumps from stoich to rich...is this right??? what should it look like at idle or WOT?? just trying to figure out if its the right wire???? Peace
Lox

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Here is a picture..I get this reading all the time, it jumps from this green light to like 4 golds and sometimes a few golds and one red. When i am on the highway sometimes it will just read like the pic for a minute and then go back to jumping again...
I'm posting all the pics in the interior section, Its mounted in the mirror trim panel..check it out..Peace

Lox

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I think I am gonna try that one...I'm worried about all the little tap places on the two wires I have already tapped though. I taped up the one wire..I'll try the black and see what happens...Peace

Lox

1 - 18 of 18 Posts