Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am going to keep this as short as possible. Basically the dealer told me that one of my spark plugs was burned off and caused the motor to have a skip in it. Which in turn is causing my transmission to slip.

Anyways, enough of that b/s. The dealer informed me that the motorcraft plug is much better then the autolights i had installed. Now, i have a screaming demon coil and live wire on the car. I have opened the gap up to .065. What i am getting at is.....what plugs have you had good luck with? I don't mind the motorcraft, just wondeering if there is something better that i am unaware of. Apperently the autolights cannot handle the power.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Motorcraft plug= autolite plug. Same plug, different wrapper. Either plus is fine.

Scott

·
Registered
358 Posts
I believe azf-22c's are one step colder copper plugs that will allow your comp. to pull a little more timming. All that platinum, double electrode stuff is worthless.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should i be running a colder plug? Will that work ok with the ign. setup i have? I only drive the car around town on the weekends, and it does get rode hard

·
Registered
358 Posts
This used to get discused in FI forum alot if want to try a search but from what I remember the timming on the Focus is already pretty agressive and pulling in a few degrees should net a small power gain. I believe people running NO2 use 1 step colder to suport up to a 50 shot and 2 steps colder for anything more or FI.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just found this little tid bit that confirms your eailer statement...

http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=171

Note: It is recommended that for every 50hp increase over stock power that the spark plugs be one heat range colder.
Additionally, is there any benifit to running the above mentioned plugs? I belive i will be running one plug range colder now, but should i just do the motorcarft route or spend the extra cash and get these?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Those wear out really fast and don't provide any extra benefits. I'd go with the motorcrafts save the cash for another mod.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Get some NGK TR6 plugs. I have mine opened up to .060", and they are great. They are one step colder than stock.

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
Motorcraft plug= autolite plug. Same plug, different wrapper. Either plus is fine.

Scott
werd. your dealer is full of it. if you really want to run the motorcrafts, though, you can pick them up for about the same price as the autolites at any autozone.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts