Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 65k and i think my alternator is going out. Its making a whining noise. Guess the bearings are going out. Just wondering whats the average lifespan of the stock alternator. Also, does anyone know where i can get a new one for a good price? thanks

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Don't know the lifespan of the foci's alternator?
But I can tell you this.

I have over 140,000 miles and am still on the original one
My focus is a early 00' btw

·
Not A Texan!
420 Posts
Depends on lots of factors. If the belt is put on too tight, or if your battery is dead and you drive it for a while, or even too much ICE/lights/etc. then your alternator's life is going to be diminished. If the belt is too tight, then the stress on the bearing is going to be too much and eventually the bearing will go out. As far as too much power draw or dead battery is concerned, this causes too much demand on the alternator to produce enough power to do its job, which is to keep the battery charged and run your accessories when your car is running. The factory alternator is only designed to handle the accessories that came on your car from the factory, plus a couple more. That is why when you have an extensive ICE setup, it is reccommended to upgrade your alternator. I personally have killed an alternator in less than a month due to too much draw, and working at Checker/Shucks/Kragen Auto Parts and AutoZone I have seen numerous alternators that are shot simply due to being overtightened. I hope this helps you out some, and as always, let me know if I am misinformed about any of this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts