·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for us in like a 40/45 offset?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
dont know about lightest....but id say rota slipstreams are on the lighter end of 16" wheel weights

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
The Rota Grids in 16x7 are 14.5lbs each; they look quite nice too.

--Dan.

·
Registered
686 Posts
sorry to bust your [email protected] but it's 16#'s

anyways, i got the Rota slipstreams in 16x7 which are 13.5#'s

The Rota Grids in 16x7 are 14.5lbs each; they look quite nice too.

--Dan.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Can you still get Slipstreams in a Focus bolt-pattern...they didnt go the way of the Attack did they? Because if they really are 7.5lbs lighter per wheel than the stock SVTs (21lbs I think) along with the smaller diameter, could be the key to unlocking the SVT's autoX potential. I mean, nearly a 30lbs diet of rotating mass is a GOOOOOOOOOD thing, and must be pretty easy to notice the benefits.

I really want a set...but where do i go?

CCC

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Mach III orders them custom from the Rota factory. I believe they're the only US distributor that can get them in 4x108 with the proper offset.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Mach III orders them custom from the Rota factory. I believe they're the only US distributor that can get them in 4x108 with the proper offset.
Proper offset? 49mm? :fingerscrossed:
[EDIT] Only offer 48mm in a 5x100...4x108 only in 40mm!!!

CCC

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
More like 45mm or 40mm.

I love my 40mm Rotas.

I recently saw a custom ordered set of 16x8 Grids in the For Sale forum with "ET45" on the boxes, so that leads me to believe they can be ordered in 45mm.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'm glad you posted that...cause I was about to rip a stupid noob question, so maybe I can get it answered without actually asking directly.

WHY do you love you're 40mm Rotas? Especially since you're an AutoXer (noting my new porject in my sig)...

CCC

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Okay.. first I have to start by mentioning that they are my daily driver wheels/tires rather than my autocross wheels, so appearance was the primary goal. I feel they look damn good, and provide a seriously aggressive stance.

..but extra offset (while it DOES screw with the "precious" scrub radius), also alters weight transfer... in a positive way. An extreme example of this is the Street Prepared cars with huge amounts of track. Of course, they do that to run huge tires primarily, but track width is an added bonus.

But... My combo has been track tested. I decided to run my street tires (280 treadwear AVS ES100s) at the Larison Rock Hillclimb. I had my V1 g-analyst running, and was quite surprised to see lateral g forces bumping the 1.0 mark, and sustained forces over .95gs... on cheap Yokohamas! I run 2.8 degrees of negative camber in the front, so even at 35PSI, there isn't a hint of rollover on the sidewall.

I had next to no rubbing before the fender rolling (only rubbed on large impact with four passengers) and none afterward, with 225/45-16s mounted. I'm sure 205s would be rub-free. With the current setup it is un-rubbable.

So.. the main risks with running lots of offset are:

1) Rubbing... Camber plates and fender rolling go along way toward solving this. Why camber plates? Adding negative camber (which is ideal for autocrossing) also moves the top of the wheel/tire inward, away from the potential fender-rub.

2) Scrub radius = altered steering feel. It doesn't bother me, but the way in which it follows ruts is most certainly altered... The toe-out doesn't help either.

3) Uneven loading of the wheel bearing COULD lead to accelerated wear of the bearing... but I haven't had any problems.

If all of the conditions can't be met needed to run them, then it probably isn't such a good idea.

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
Kazera KZ-V @ 16.8 lbs. = Chrome Plated
Kazera KZ-V @ 16.3 lbs. = Light Grey Painted
Kazera KZ-V @ 16.5 lbs. = Silver w/Machine Lip

I would have thought the machined lip would have been lightest since there's less paint. I also would have thought chrome plating would add more weight.

I wish Kosei still made rims for us.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Omni:

You kept mentioning "more offset"...now as I see it, more equals a higher number, i.e. the SVT stock offset of 49mm. What would be the effects of lessening that number? "More" offset as you said...? Will the wheel and tire being bought closer to the shock or some other effect. Thanks...

CCC

·
Registered
686 Posts
and where do you get your info from? you would be right if they the person who started this thread asked about 15" wheels, but for 16" it's 16lbs. here a web page for you to check the spec's, click on wheel info.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
and where do you get your info from? you would be right if they the person who started this thread asked about 15" wheels, but for 16" it's 16lbs. here a web page for you to check the spec's, click on wheel info.
id believe Dannyboy. thats cause......he actually OWNED a set of grids

1 - 20 of 21 Posts