Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I undertake a lighting project, I have a quick question. I think I remember hearing that the color black reflects light super well. Is that correct? If I change all of the chrome insige the stock housing to black, will I be sacraficing any of the reflective qualities at all?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
No way bro...Actually I think my lights look brighter since I went to the SVT headlights....Go for it and put some pics up when you are done...peace

Lox

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
i dont really know if i am reading your post correctly but i am pretty positive that black absorbs nearly all light. hence why it is black! it doesnt reflect nearly any light that hits it. but honestly i dont think it would have any adverse effect on your headlights since if the beams are hitting the housing there is a problem anyway...and many of the lights out have "darker" housings anyway. just go for it! i think it looks better anyway...if i had the balls to do it i would
but i have heard alot of things about them leaking if you dont seal them back up properly.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Actually its colors in the "white" (white light is made of all colors) end of the spectrum that reflect light the most. Black and dark colors absorb light, thats why the look dark, where as bright colors reflect more light to your eye making them look bright. So if everything inside the headlights were black, you'd end up with a 100W headlights that seem to have to output of a flashlight.

Light has energy which we feel as heat (sunlight), a light or white colored car will be significantly cooler than a dark or black car sitting in the smae parking lot under a summer sun because most of the light and heat energy was reflected (light car) vs. absorbed (dark car).

This is my understanding...if I'm wrong..then please correct me so that I can go and change my major.

CCC

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
do it...it's easy and doesn't affect your lighting at all.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, so I am about as confused as when I posted. Waht the heck though, I have to do this. I have been comming up with this design for a month now, no guts no glory, right?

I will do my best to take progress shots. I assure you this is not just the SVT hesdlight mod.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
do it...it's easy and doesn't affect your lighting at all.
If he's talking about blacking out the headlight housing...how will that not effect lightin gat all. Maye I have his idea all screwed up, but from what I understand he wants to black out the inide of the headlights...I don't see how that wont effect the output lighting.

CCC

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[ I understand he wants to black out the inide of the headlights...I don't see how that wont effect the output lighting.

CCC
You got the idea. In your opinion is this going to effect the headlight enough not to do it? I do have silverstar bulbs.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If you are talking about blacking out the INSIDE area of your headlight, like right around where the bulb itself is.. then you will definitely have problems. That area needs to be reflective, and just to clarify, nothing reflects more light then chrome

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
[ I understand he wants to black out the inide of the headlights...I don't see how that wont effect the output lighting.

CCC
You got the idea. In your opinion is this going to effect the headlight enough not to do it? I do have silverstar bulbs.
BAD IDEA. silverstars or not you won't be able to see a damn thing. black is the LEAST REFLECTIVE color. imagine trying to drive around with just your ambers, i'd bet it'll be something like that.

Nate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts