·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suppliers say Lincoln will kill Aviator

By Amy Wilson
Automotive News / August 04, 2003

Advertisement

DETROIT -- Lincoln will drop the truck-based Aviator SUV as early as 2005, say two suppliers working on the program.

The Aviator, on the market for nine months, has sold poorly and has been viewed as a clone of the Ford Explorer.

The SUV will be replaced in the Lincoln lineup by a new sport wagon produced on the Mazda6 platform beginning in August 2006. The suppliers say production of the Aviator is scheduled to stop at the end of the 2005 model year.

But the exact timing of the Aviator's demise still is being determined, say supplier and company sources. The Aviator is assembled at Ford Motor Co.'s St. Louis assembly plant, which Ford has targeted to close by mid-decade. St. Louis also assembles the Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer.

Ford officials wouldn't comment on the Aviator's fate.

But a Ford source acknowledged that the existing truck-based SUV won't be needed after the new 2007 sport wagon debuts. That sport wagon, to be built in Oakville, Ontario, is designed to fight vehicles such as the Lexus RX 330 and Infiniti FX45.

While the Aviator looks much like the Explorer, the company invested heavily for new Aviator parts, such as a different instrument panel. About half of the Aviator's parts are new. So even though the company paid generously for new parts, a top Ford executive says, it still failed to differentiate the Aviator from the Explorer.

The Aviator's high price is a problem. The Navigator starts at $49,050; the Aviator starts at $39,995 but can reach more than $54,000.

In the first seven months of 2003, Lincoln sold 15,164 Aviators. It had planned full-year sales of up to 35,000 in 2003.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
bah the aviator screamed "Dream about me at night...preferably with a hot girl in the passenger seat" Hopefully they'll transfer over the retuned tranny pieces...maybe the 4V as options in the explorer.

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
they are straight up stupid. the aviator has sold over 15,000 copies in the 1st seven months of this year, about 25 - 30 thousand for the year, thats pretty good if you ask me

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
i *Really* hope they don't cancel it, and just rely on the economies of scale to allow them to drop the price 5-10k (cuz they could, easily, now that the tooling has paid itself off)

THe aviator is an AMAZING ride, they're just not marketing ti right...you ever seen those commercials where it's the rock and roll whoop and hollering song and the Camry is being stunt-driven? i would never do that in a camry, but i would in an aviator. They simply need to market it as a driver's SUV, which it very much is.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I really hope that they do not axe the aviator and replace it with the new wagon. Lincoln needs all the help it can get how can they expect to make money when they only plan on offering 4 models. They cannot just give up that portion of the market to the other high end manufacturers. Keep the aviator as well as the wagon.

And the aviator sells quite well down here, maybe the rest of the US doesn't like it. The other day a lady came in to my dealership and wanted to buy an aviator and have it shipped back to germany where she lived because as she put it, over there everybody has x5's and ml430's.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
15000 is pretty good considering the last few months we were at war!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everybodys car sales were rather light! But when people are worried that they arent going to have jobs to either war issues or the import market taking over all of the americans jobs and there are still 15000 people willing to spend 40000 to 50000 thousand dollars on a car thats simply amazing!!!!!!!! Or pure stupidity! I work at the Aviator plant that they are going to close! Its very depressing hearing all the negative all the time! I never hear that the navigator is just a glorified expedition! They should just drop the price just alittle bit and they would sell twice as many!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From Thecarconnection.com

Aviator Death Notice Premature?

Reports of the death of Lincoln’s Aviator have been greatly exaggerated, insisted Ford Motor Co. COO Nick Scheele, during a discussion with reporters in Traverse City. In recent days, numerous news stories have indicated that Lincoln’s mid-size luxury sport-ute will be pulled from production in 2005, a victim of weak sales. But such reports are “premature,” said Ford COO Nick Scheele, quickly substituting the word, “wrong.” MBS keynote speaker, Scheele stressed “We have taken no such decision on Aviator,” insisting that after a slow start, sales have begun picking up. Through June, he reported, Lincoln has sold about 13,000 of the SUVs, nearly half the 30,000 target for all of 2003. Scheele, meanwhile, countered concerns that Lincoln has lost its direction. Last spring, he told TheCarConnection the luxury brand was rethinking its entire product program following its pull-out from Ford’s Premier Automotive Group. The new lineup is “impressive,” Scheele said, denying that the American luxury unit will simply rely on “badge-engineered” versions of products sold by other Ford divisions.

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
The Aviator, on the market for nine months, has sold poorly and has been viewed as a clone of the Ford Explorer.
I got a good kick out of that statement. As if the Mercury Mountaineer isn't a clone of the Explorer and the Navigator isn't a clone of the Expedition.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The main problem here is Mercury. Simply put, it waters down Lincoln's prestige and fragments sales. Why Ford doesn't just throw in the towel and be done with it is beyond me. Instead, they're pulling the same old trick and rebadging Fords. Few were fooled before; nobody is fooled now.

Ford has Lincoln, Volvo, Jaguar, Range Rover, and Aston Martin, ALL of which are supposed to skew upscale. Mazda handles the sporty cars. That leaves Mercury more than a little lost... just like Oldsmobile.

At least at GM, they can take Cadillac upmarket (and are doing so impressively), and then pull Buick up with it. Try taking Lincoln upmarket. Whoops! Too full!!!

Lincoln would align really well with an upmarket Buick - both play to the isolated American floatmobile scene well (like Lexus). Both names have heritage as American luxury, and both have good success in those roles.

Lincoln has more cachet than Buick right now, which will only help drive sales. No worries about trying to impress the Euro-snobs - that's what Jaguar and Volvo are for. Lincoln can be free to be traditional American luxury.

Will such product-planning clarity ever happen. Hell no!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
The main problem here is Mercury. Simply put, it waters down Lincoln's prestige and fragments sales. Why Ford doesn't just throw in the towel and be done with it is beyond me. Instead, they're pulling the same old trick and rebadging Fords. Few were fooled before; nobody is fooled now.
Next time you go past that Lincon dealership look at what else they are selling there....Mercury. Killing Mercury will kill Lincoln also. Mercury is in the middle of a product redevelopment...which are mostly rebadged Fords, but I'm sure they can differnat the two enough to ensure sales.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Next time you go past that Lincon dealership look at what else they are selling there....Mercury. Killing Mercury will kill Lincoln also. Mercury is in the middle of a product redevelopment...which are mostly rebadged Fords, but I'm sure they can differnat the two enough to ensure sales.
Ford had the choice to either fully fund lincoln kill mercury and drastically reduce the number of dealers (alot of pain) or keep mercury around the support a underfunded lincoln.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
the Aviator was a great vehicle from Lincoln for the price. Wrong decision in my opinion.

·
Registered
97 Posts
More "false news" again!

No way is the Aviator being dropped!! It is selling, the whole fake story was probably started by anti-Ford and anit-SUV "journalists".

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
More "false news" again!

No way is the Aviator being dropped!! It is selling, the whole fake story was probably started by anti-Ford and anit-SUV "journalists".
So is this thing dead or alive?

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
from a ford/lm dealer. the aviator was the next big thing from ford. just like the t-bird. can you spell no customer interest. overpriced crap. so far off what they need it is extra stupid. how about this. if you need a fifty cent plastic piece for a warranty repair, ford sends the 300 dollar entire replacement. cost cutting indeed, put it into cars people lust after, not a pdiddy whanabe.

·
Registered
744 Posts
More "false news" again!

So is this thing dead or alive?
supposedly its still alive...
Aviator Alive -mebbe

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
problem was ford MARKETING not the car

NONE of the critics found a problem with this car
cept the pricetag. But considering there are a LOT of overpriced cars oiut there that still sell like hotcakes, that wasn't the issue. Ford didn't build the right buzz. That was the problem.

I want an aviator in my garage.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Aviators are selling better now and there is no plan to drop it. Do a Google and look for the latest stories.

Funny to hear the L-M dealer whine about 'overpriced crap', what are you doing in the car business, then? This negative attitude trickles down to the customers, who then go to imports in droves.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts