Ford Focus Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Lucky for me Randy of FSWerks is doing my tuning. But I've put so much time, money, and work into this car I just don't want to take a chance and miss something like this. Randy keeps telling me to keep an ear out for any detonation... I hear things that I can't identify sometimes and I've decided I need to be sure. This seems like a good way.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Just about gave myself a heart attack today. I was wiring up this mod today and decided to pull the spark plugs & have a look at them for prudence sake. They looked good. So I took a flashlight and looked down through the plug hole at each piston. Didn't like what I saw at all. Looked sandblasted just like I've seen in pics of the damage detonation can cause. I was a grown man about ready to cry. So I grabbed a bamboo skewer from the kitchen and used it to feel the surface of the piston. Feels smooth, doesn't feel like it looks. So I grabbed a long cue-tip and used a little brake cleaning fluid to swab the surface of the piston. It cleaned right up to looking brand-new. The texture I saw was just minor carbon build-up. I feel relieved!

Time to find out if I connected the wires correctly to listen to the knock sensor. I'm about to try it for the first time....

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
yeah, thatll happen. Like I said in the first post the damage will usually happen along edges like valve reliefs or the outer edge of the crown.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Well I couldn't quite get it working tonight & it's dark out now so I'll try again tomorrow. Not sure if the wire tap I used is making a good connection or if I just have the laptop configured wrong but I'm too tired to deal with it tonight.

The spark plugs looked really good. As I understand it, if the detonation is bad enough to cause any real damage the plugs get a pixie-dust sort of look to them. Mine just had a nice light gray look like they're supposed to.

EDIT TO ADD:

Well, I got the knock sensor working through a set of headphones. No sign of detonation that I can hear. Lots of clicking from what must be the valves / cams / buckets but no deto. Randy's doing a good job so far! :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
I am playing timing now and need to this also. I have bumped Randy's timing 2-3* with no audible noise but the engine drowns out much noise.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts