Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on pulling my motor this winter and I want to beef it up big time. I need help from you guys who have built your Zetec . I really want a strong NA car with the strength to take a big nitrous shot when needed.

1)I'm thinking of using FC pistons and Crower rods on the bottom end (what comp would you run???)

2)For the head I'm thinking Ford racing with Ti spring/retainers. A FC Intake manifold...what cams should I put in???

3)I'm planning at least a 100 (maybe more) shot on this set-up...has anyone ran direct port with the FC manifold???

I'll be using my FS race header and Magnaflow along with my Volant intake with this set-up.

Any hints and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
send a pm to mycannon and look for his pics in team rigz. he built his motor and ran a direct port nx kit until he melted a plug.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Ilfocus has a build bottom end with JE pistons I think new rods rings and a balanced crank. He runs a 75 shot and has produced a 14.5 E.T. This is all with only an intake, UDP, and catback exhaust, no headwork or cams or even a new header....

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well, I got one of the highest all motor proven hp numbers on the FJ and once you see it almost go up in smoke with a nitrous shot you'll be just like me tobyboom and decide its not worth it and go turbo. But if you decide to still try it, you'll blow that intake mani to pieces when it backfires, you really need a metal intake mani to be able to handle anything the engine coughs back up. As far as what to put in to your motor look at my sig it has taken some abuse and still pushing. I do know where you can get a Directport kit from
PM me if you are interrested.

hope this helped and good luck

Cory

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mycannon....your numbers look pretty good. Do you have any dyno results with nitrous???

I was definitely going to replace the intake manifold.

I really like turbo cars but were I live there isn't anyone I'd trust to tune it. Plus I just want to try the all motor thing. If it blows up in my face I'll just consider it an expensive lesson.

·
Registered
659 Posts
search the forced induction you will find the dyno its named (150 shot on a focus) by russell

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The fc pistons are 10.2:1 compression, they are made by a company called probe, big in the mustang world, they swear by them. I'm doing the same project as you, I'm going with the eagle rods again, as they are just as good as the crowers in my opinion for a lot less money. I think I'm going to deck the head to raise the comp to as close to 11:1 as I can get. I'm also upgrading my intake cam to a crower III and doing a little custom work with a short runner intake. I'm at 160 to the ground now, my goal is 200 n/a on pumpgas daily driver. I think it's not far off. Get your rotating assembly balanced. Either a flip chip or programable ignition system is required for any nitrous over 75shot (50 really). I'm using the msd dis2. Good luck, keep us posted

g

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome Mr. Squatch!!! Sounds like you're on the way to your goal. Keep me posted for sure.

Do you think 11:1 is possible? I'm not saying that it isn't but dam that's going to be close. I'm going to try the eagle rods with the FC pistons. Going to order on Fri.

The only thing i haven't worked out for sure is the intake manifold. I was planning on using an MSD ign. as well. what do you have for cams in there right now? Crower II's?

thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
yes, crower II's, the old ones. For intake mani, most would stick with an oem 2000 ported one or a ford racing, I'm building my own short runner one for hp. Might not be the greatest for daily driving, but I'm making 7 different variations, so I'll be good at swappin em by the time I find the best. If you're running big nitrous, you gotta have a metal intake mani, i've seen too many plastic ones blow up. My prototypes are all plastic, but the final production pieces will be fabd in aluminum. good luck yo, i'll keep my progress posted.

g

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone know the best place to pick up a Ford Racing intake? Parts are arriving in the mail already and I need to figure out what I'm going to use for an intake manifold.

The cash is not goign to be too crazy because I'm going to build it myself. It's going to be a little less than a good turbo set-up...I just hope it stays together.

Does anyone know if I'll be allright if I run the stock fuel pump with larger injectors? Should I buy an new pump? I don't want this thing to blow apart because it's not getting enough fuel.

Do you think that tom would sell me his MIC? I'm thinking that it may be a good idea...and if it all blows up I'll already have the management for a turbo build.

·
Registered
659 Posts
yes, Tom will sell just his chip, are you going to be running nitrous on this, if so how big of a shot you need a big fuel pump for a big shot look at my sig this is what I had for a 150 DP shot. I still have this kit if you are interested PM me I'll give details.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts