Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new car. I am trying to sell my ZX3, and then take out a loan for the difference to get an SVT. I found one semi-local, and I want to know what you guys think it is worth. I also want to know common problems on this year SVT, and what I should all look for.

He is not the first owner of this car, but he said he has taken care of it.

Here is the ad:
Selling a 2002 Ford Focus SVT. Our Son has left for the Marines boot camp.

The engine is a 2.0L stage 2 high compression with wrapped SVT header, magnaflow exhaust, aem short ram with a K&N filter, cfm 67mm throttle body. 2 new oxygen sensors, new mass air flow sensor, new stage 2 clutch with lightened flywheel, 6 speed trans and new shift cables, and a new alternator. New sway bar end links, energy trans mount, racing sway bars, SVT flat black 5 spoke 17in rims, tinted windows, shorty antenna, tinted corners, newer bfg g force low pro tires, slotted and drilled rotors front and rear.

The interior is black leather seats with blue cloth inserts, 6 disc cd player, 10in sub built into back hatch, sun roof, oil temp and pressure gauge, 5 point harness mounts.

The car has a little over 100,000 miles, the oil has been changed every 3000 miles with mobil 1 synthetic 10w 30 and a motorcraft filter.
Let me know what you think guys, thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Can't tell w/o pics, but it sounds like a well taken care of SVT. To my understanding, there weren't any major problems specific to the '02, the only thing I would've been concerned about is the clutch, but it sounds like that's already been addressed.

If the price is right, jump on it. You shouldn't regret it, they're fun little cars.

Just make *absolutely* sure that the timing belt has been replaced or do that the instant you get it home.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Sounds ok. Though I do hope they just goofed on the 10w30 oil. The svt requires 5w30.

·
Copying CaysE's mods even before CaysE does them!
2,265 Posts
10w30 isnt going to hurt anything, it just a little thicker

im going to switch to 10w30 in the summer here cause it just gets too hot

·
Registered
826 Posts
water pump, timing belt and tension pulley needs service as soon as possible (no svts have belts and not chains). the thermostat housing usually starts to leak at around 90K. axles usually goes bad after you pass the 100K mark. other than these, it sounds like a great car. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 02 with about 134k miles. Based on my experience, other than what has already been mentioned, I would check the following: window regulators(one of mine went, the other is going), and especially the rear control arms, which can crack and break at the point where the anti-roll bar is attached. These were reinforced after the 02's so the replacement parts are the reinforced ones. They are not expensive so were it me I would replace these with the new part. Don't wait for the control arms to break--it happened to me and was no fun.

·
Registered
190 Posts
How much are they asking.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sounds ok. Though I do hope they just goofed on the 10w30 oil. The svt requires 5w30.
10w30 isnt going to hurt anything, it just a little thicker

im going to switch to 10w30 in the summer here cause it just gets too hot
There is little difference in 5w30 and 10w30 except at initial startup. They are both the same viscosity. When I owned my svt, I asked about using 40 weight oil because I thought it might give better protection for the high revving engine. I was told that the vct relies on the oil viscosity to accurately vary the cam timing. Therefore you should only use 30 weight. Here is an article that talks about vct. Pretty cool:

http://myfordfocus.com/svt/

·
Registered
150 Posts
i have regularly ran mobil one 5w20 in my zx2 sr (vct exhaust) and my svtf (vct intake) both of which have had no problems at all and tend to run better then with 5w30.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Timing belt needs to be done, and master cylinder maybe.

As far as worth, if it were mine, I'd be asking 7000, taking nothing less than say 6300. Lots of nice, expensive upgrades done...

·
Registered
264 Posts
there is a little bracket on the right side of the shifter that breaks somertimes check it, its real easy

·
Banned
1,266 Posts
I know of one local to me that is selling one for 3k...shipping would be like 500... :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts