Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello hello everyone, I've been working on my 03 ZX3 D23 for the past few months and though I completely debugged ALMOST everything that was going on with it I now have another issue that's been plaguing me for the last three days.

Here's the quick rundown, over the last few months I have replaced the clutch and slave cylinder, control arms, ball joints, front sway bar end links and bushings, shock/struts and springs all around, front and rear brakes, radiator hoses, reverse light switch (was inoperable due to PO not reconnecting it), fuel and oil filters, flushed and/or replaced all fluids, spark plugs, more.

Since that time, one of my piece of trash drum brakes was giving me crap, not adjusting properly, dragging and almost lighting me on fire on the highway so I went ahead and installed a Massive Speed System rear disc conversion kit, as I'm familiar with discs and those drums were garbage. The kit installed fine with only very minor modding to the trailing arms to remove the old brake hose brackets from the drum system.

SO... after I had replaced the reverse light switch and reinstalled the trans (post-clutch job), the brake lights and reverse lights had been working perfectly for about 130 miles. I decided to do a re-torque on the newly installed parts and also install the Massive brake kit, change out the wiper stalk control as the wipers were acting erratically, and reconnected a bad connection on my driver's side, side marker as it wasn't working. Now it does. I also disconnected and reconnected the battery. All of this took place weeks after I had done any work on the other parts, and everything had been sailing smoothly.

Since then my wipers (both front and rear), high beams (only), brake lights, and reverse lights have all quit working. What the hell??

The running tail lights work fine as do all blinkers whether I switch them through the blinker stalk, hazard button, or parking light switch, and the license plate lights and low beams work also. When I flip the multi-switch to high beam, the headlights just go out.

I've tested ALL the fuses, the relays, switches are all still connected (who knows if one was faulty from factory), bulbs are all good, everything I checked is either new or tested good. I also replaced the multifunction stalk which works fine, but the new wiper stalk doesn't work at all now. Have not tested the brake light switch under the brake pedal, but it strikes me as odd that it would affect the wipers, brake lights, high beams, and reverse lights.

If I swap the headlight relays around, the low beams will work with either the high OR low beam relay in its position so I know both those relays are good, but the high beams won't work with EITHER relay in its position. Both the owner's manual and the Haynes make no mention of there being a relay anywhere for the brake or reverse lights other than being routed through the multi-function switch, but their fuses all check out. The reverse lights also look to be a different system based on the schematic.

Sorry for the long-winded thread starter but I hope that someone has had a similar experience and goes "I know what that is..."

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot it always takes days for these threads to clear for public eyes so you've already figured it out by the time it's even posted... Rather than ask any questions I'll just report back on progress lol.

Pulled the boot on the rear hatch wire loom and it looks like the PO just attempted a crappy electrical tape fix. I'll be getting the soldering gun out today and doing some work... hopefully that will work at least for some of it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts