Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a tranny for my rx7 to bolt to a 350 chevy engine. Can anyone help me with some info on this, I need to get educated fast

[ 04-15-2003, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: derf ]

·
Not so Photo Master
6,625 Posts
turbo400 for autmatic w/o over drive.

·
Registered
542 Posts
TH400 is a good choice.

Is that what you decided to put in the RX7? They are farily common, I have seen quite a few done.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Is the car light? If it's gonna weigh around 3000lbs or less, then go with a powerglide. I put a TH400 in my Mustang(3050lbs with me)and it's ok. Next trans will be a 'glide or a Tremec TKO 5spd.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Don't rule out a TH350 either. Those things are VERY common (thus pretty cheap to find and rebuild) and should handle the power of a 350, unless it is really built.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by Crankenstein:
Don't rule out a TH350 either. Those things are VERY common (thus pretty cheap to find and rebuild) and should handle the power of a 350, unless it is really built.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Very good point. The topic stated a 350, but at the top of the thread, it states 530. If it's a decently built 350, then the TH350 will work fine. Is it a drag car, autoX or just a street car?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeh my retarded ass mistyped the 350. The engine is stock, I am prolly going to rebuild it after I tear it down.

Blown, it will mainly be a drag car, but any form of motorsports will be open to consideration. I dont plan to drive it on the street, although I do plan to have it as street legal as possible.

I would prefer to have an automatic as it is more consistent in bracket racing than my foot is with a clutch.

I am actually looking at the total weight for the car to be closer to 2300 lbs. Its at 2158 now with the stock drivetrain, and I still have the fuel tank and all the electrical wiring to remove. That weight was with the drivers seat and the stock drive train. The 350 and drivetrain should be nly about 100-125 lbs heavier than what it is now, plus I want to change the stock gas tank from a 15gal to a 5 gal in car, and there is some more wieght that the car can loose, probably close to another 100 lbs.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Being the car will be pretty light, I'd go with the 'glide.

Any plans on getting different heads or a little bigger cam?

You could do a rebuild with some flat-top hypereutectic pistons with a set of 64cc heads.

This would put you around 10.3 to 1 compression(93 octane)

Some decent head choices:
TFS aluminum ?cc-$970
World S/R(cast iron)170cc-$780
Dart 180cc-$900

Cam in the 480in. lift/280 dur. range.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right now I am more interested in getting the engine/tranny into the car and getting a drive shaft. The car also has alot of bodywork that needs to be done which I started to do (shaving, rust removal, replacement of glass with sheet metal etc...)

I bought a book about the 350 chevy called 600 hp for 3k. That will probably be the plan for next winter as it sounds like a good winter project. Plus it gives me enuff time to get all the parts together so I dont drop a huge amount of money at one time.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If your plan is 600hp and you don't want to swap in another tranny halfway through the project, then yes, I would say TH400 or Powerglide as well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Originally posted by Focaltech01:
TH400 is a good choice.

Is that what you decided to put in the RX7? They are farily common, I have seen quite a few done.

Good luck!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How about paying Jeremy his cash????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts