Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of a self-motivational post to get my ass in gear to get things finished. As it stands, the old engine is out (and still sits on its side on the garage floor), and almost all of the parts are here.

Supertech 12.5:1 88mm pistons (2261cc -> 2287cc)
Eagle H-Beam rods
Ranger Crank
Cosworth crank and rod bearings
Massive special grind Crower cams (should be similar to a Crane stg 4)
ARP crank and head studs

Once all the parts are here, I need to bring the engine to the machine shop and get that going. It needs to be dipped, bored, and honed. I'm also going to have them clay the combustion chamber to make sure everyone is playing nicely together. :rock:

I still need to finish fabricating my replacement for my Cosworth baffle kit that get destroyed in the process. I cut out a new plate, but then I went and screwed it up by bending the edges the wrong way. :rant:

I've been also cleaning a lot of the parts, since aluminum doesn't like salt, and some were starting to corrode on me. Got most down to bare metal again, and needs to be clear coated. The transmission is next.

I still need a new axle as my passenger one came apart, but that's just a call to Rock Auto.

Old engine out:

Engine bay after some cleaning:

Block that will go in (which actually is the original):

Boxes of toys:

·
Banned
43 Posts
nice! can't wait to see this thread grow man! so what are the differences between this and the old motor? just wondering. cause u made 201 on the old one right?

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically, this is just taking off from where the last motor left off, so the parts listed above replace those in the last one. All the other parts are the same.

Block wise, same type of block, just the one going in doesn't have the "ventilation" hole in the side by the starter like the one that came out does. ;)

·
My Race Car Has Poke and Stretch
1,643 Posts
Definitely want to see how this setup does. Good luck not creating any more 'ventilation' holes ;)

·
Banned
43 Posts
ok so pretty sure i now see the hole ur talkin about and wow. must make it easy to check and see if ya got any oil in the thing tho.

·
Registered
398 Posts
^^Also curious on what your plans for the head are.

What gas you plan on using? 93 octane pump gas?

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Head already has a 3-angle job on it. Just needs to be cleaned up a little.

Going to try my best to get it tuned for 93. However, I did learn the NAPA in town can sell race fuel, but I prefer not to be tuned for that.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Head already has a 3-angle job on it. Just needs to be cleaned up a little.

Going to try my best to get it tuned for 93. However, I did learn the NAPA in town can sell race fuel, but I prefer not to be tuned for that.
Cool, I wasn't sure if you salvaged the head from the kaboom. Are you just going to clean it up, or are you going to rebuild it? It can't have too many miles on it...

What do you think about having two tunes, one for 93 and one for race gas? You can flash em and such...?

How did you decide on the cam profile?

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
That and I heard adding Fusion Hybrid engine covers are all the rage.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
There has been a few cosworth heads on ebay for a while. You should get one!

Just kidding! it would be sweet though.

Who are you going to have tune it?

·
Registered
398 Posts
So no flashing from 93 to race?

·
Registered
459 Posts
i think you should paint the block grabber green...now THATS good for 10-15 hp [:D]

x3 on the flashing from 93 to race...imagine the timing you could run!

·
Look under the curve... UNDER THE CURVE!
3,134 Posts
Cool! Glad to see this coming back together. What kind of turn-around are you looking at to have it ready?

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I just dropped the parts off at the machine shop. Going to have them dip/clean the block and head, bore it out 20 over, hone, balance the rotating assembly, and clay the combustion chambers. I asked about keying the crank, and he wanted to run some measurements before saying that he could. I just need to make a short trip back there to drop off the head gasket and cams since they arrived at my house today.

Soon. And by soon, that could mean a couple of months in Egz-Time. lol

1 - 20 of 49 Posts