Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came into some cash so my first thought was to slap on a supercharger. I don't really want to break the 5k mark for the kit, installation and tuning. I was quoted a price of 500 for the piggyback chip/tuning and 75 an hour for installation labor. Jackson Racing seems like it's not aggressive enough, Kenne Belle seemed to have forgotten about us, I don't know about Vortech, and I am very interested in Wolff Racing/ATI. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I'm not sure what you're going to find for that price if you're paying for the installation (as I did for my "big boost" JRSC). I think even the Wolff Racing S1 kit sounds like it's going to be close to $5000 just for the hardware. It cost me about $500 for the install of my JRSC. I think to get the level of power it sounds like you want you probably will end up going over $5000 with installation and tuning. Maybe it won't be too much over, though.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
The Wolff hardware only kits are only 3600([email protected] PSI) and 3900 ([email protected] PSI) respectively. You have to provide your own tuning. The Street kits S1 and S2 will probably be close to 5K with tuning.

Kenne Bell should be a write off about now, you WILL NOT see any kit (zx3 or SVT) this year.
V-F Engineering as well. I do not believe you will see a kit this year.
Vortech, might be the ONLY other group to jump into the game this year.

Personally I'd take the ATI over the Vortech, but Vortech has the reputation, so it's a wash.
For SC's your ONLY options this year will be the Jackson, Wolff/Procharger, and Vortech.

I'm thinking the SVT market is just dying.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The basic Jackson Racing kit for the SVTF is definitely for the daily driver that doesn't need the big numbers but wants the extra boost that the SVTF should have had. And it is pretty cheap compared to the others. Mine was installed at JR's facilities in Westmister for a total of $3,300 including tax.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy that I spoke to at the shop said that he's never done a Jackson before and never even did a 4 banger. He was thinking it could run 750 plus for the install. They also told me that the custom chip would do some amaing ( but scary) things. I like Jackson because of it's simplicity but it doesn't seem like it could be expanded upon like the Wolff/Procharger. I guess I could spend a trickle over 5k but this might end up being a daily driver so I have to be careful.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would love to do that but being in Michigan and an active duty Marine makes it difficult to get to the Carolinas. Even a bigger problem than that if I ever have a problem that would be more time getting down there and maybe having to ship her. Other than that I'm sure I'd spend the cash.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well one thing for sure if your looking to spend around 5k, I am sure you will be dissapointed in any supercharger, they belong to the bigger engines that can actually make the power to produce the power,
If you are lookin for a complete bolt on I would say Tom will be your best bet, (turbo is great!!!) just as along it is set up right.
I can understand your situation, not being close, but hell you are alot closer than I am.
what ever you decide good luck.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How would Tom's kit be for daily driving? I'm looking for as much power as can be safely and comfortably used. I'm not looking to drive this car a quarter mile at a time, just a stop light sleeper.

I'll admit that I know little about FI.

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
It would be great as a daily driver that is what this kit is all about

I drive one of my turbo foci daily just went to a GTG last weekend an hour away and drove the SVT

And you dont have to come here to get the kit it can be sent and installed by you or some one there

Tom

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
The guy that I spoke to at the shop said that he's never done a Jackson before and never even did a 4 banger. He was thinking it could run 750 plus for the install. They also told me that the custom chip would do some amaing ( but scary) things. I like Jackson because of it's simplicity but it doesn't seem like it could be expanded upon like the Wolff/Procharger. I guess I could spend a trickle over 5k but this might end up being a daily driver so I have to be careful.
Where in MI are you at? I had Sharp's Supply in Muliken do my JRSC. They normally charge $60/hour, but dropped it to $50/hour because they were not familiar with the Focus or JRSC. It was $500, including the installation of the FocusSport flex pipe, and fixing a screwed up install of my Random Tech cat. They're great guys, do great work at a reasonable price, and they're a performance shop, auto parts store, and mechanic shop, so they have, or can quickly get, ANYTHING they might need for the job.

I tend to agree with Tom, though. If I were looking to spend $5000 or a little more, I'd probably be looking at his turbo kit. However, the reliability and longevity of the Eaton roots blower also was a plus for me, since I drive 800 miles a week. I'm not familiar with this for various turbos, but they might be just as reliable over a lot of miles.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A turbo will last just as long and go just as far as any blower will

Tom
Can you guanantee that Tom?

Is the kit cheaper if it's sent?

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
I give a better warranty that the blower kit do now

Life time warranty on all piping, manifold, Intercooler

1 year on the turbo and waste gate

Is there a blower with a better warranty out there ??

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Had the choice of paying off the SVT or going FI. I appreciate all of your help but I have decided to go ahead and pay it off. I figured that I will be saving some money every month and hopefully by the time I have enough to go FI there will be better and more affordable options out there.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Had the choice of paying off the SVT or going FI. I appreciate all of your help but I have decided to go ahead and pay it off. I figured that I will be saving some money every month and hopefully by the time I have enough to go FI there will be better and more affordable options out there.
That makes a lot of sense. Not only will there be more options, but you have got more time to think about it. And who likes paying interest?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts