Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tranny is going SOON. i can feel it in my bones.

AlaFoci responded! see below!

[ 02-05-2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Shiva Chaos ]

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I read it a couple times, but no mention of a writeup completed or how they got around the clutch position sensor. :-/

i've taken to thread search:

1. The crossmember is the same in an auto and manual car.

2. The motor mount is the same

3. The transmission mount is different

4. Now here's the biggie.....the axles are different.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

[ 01-31-2003, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Shiva Chaos ]

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
You can just wire the clutch position switch into the "disengaged" position, and you'll be fine... Just make sure you don't start it in gear with the clutch engaged. This will get you by for as long as you want.

Remember, it isn't some fancy sensor that detects the level of the clutch pedal... it is just an on-off switch that disengages the starter at any position other than all the way down.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
can't you just hook up a switch with a relay like you do when you put an alarm in a car to keep the clutch switch working? Or is it harder because of the pats system?

He said the car ran fine with the auto pcm but threw codes, looked like he replaced the whole wiring and the 5sp ecu after that. Was it just because he didn't want codes or because his cluster wasn't working? I've e-mialed him but no responses.

I would like to know exactly what's different between the auto and manual zetec wiring harness? Ie: speed sensor, flywheel trigger? If I can swap to a manual without changing the harness or the ecu I don't care if it throws codes and cels as long as it runs right.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The automatic wiring harness has a multitude of extra plugs as well as two or three missing ones. As far as what they are or what they do - I didn't care. I just knew that by looking at how easy it was to get the main harness out it would take less time to replace the entire harness with the CORRECT harness than it would to find ways around all the missing and extra plugs.

The harness and ecu swap was by far not the most difficult part of this little project. In all honesty the hardest thing out of all of it was getting the PATS **** ironed out. And it really wasn't terrible. The harness comes out really cleanly. It would definitly be worth the time savings and not to mention saving yourself a head ache, just to replace it with a manual car's harness.

As far as the car running with the automatic ECU - it did run. But it threw probably every code in the book. I wasn't happy with that because I didn't want my car to be some hobbled up **** box. I wanted it to look, and run, just as if it were 5spd from the factory. And it does!! :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
tell you what....I will sell you the Manual Transmission swap package, includes 5 spd trans and computer...any opening bids? I will even throw in a used clutch and flywheel if you like. I might even be able to get you some axles for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BIG thanks to AlaFoci:
Anywho...here's what I can tell ya off the top of my head.

Parts : (rough list...I'll let you know if I can remember more)

Transmission (COMPLETE)
Linkages
Pedal assembly for manual trans car
Main engine wiring harness from manual trans car
Computer from manual trans car
Manual trans shift mount
Shifter
Donor car key (one programmed for the new ECU)
Transmission mounts (lower and upper)
Wiring harness that runs from fuel tank to ECU

If you've read the posts I did while I was actually doing the swap you'll realize that the axles from the automatic will work fine - so you don't need new axles.

After you have all these parts, the only thing left to do is find a way to get around the clutch pedal position sensor. I ran a wire directly to the starter from a button I put in the cigarette lighter's place and made a push button starter to get around it. Then, you have to work out any PATS you encounter. Once you get your original automatic's keys programmed into this new ECU all PATS should be cleared and you'll be 100%.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
A little thing You can do to avoid the PATS confusion, is to swap all the lock cylinders from the 5 speed car to the car getting the 5 speed PCM, that way, the PCM is still getting the same programmed keys, and all's You are doing is changing your key.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by vme:
Yo Sucka,

There is a junk yard with several focuses, it's between Van Dyke and Mound at 16 mile.

Milan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm on it.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
For those who want to do the swap (like me
)...this thread and AlaFoci's info is a god send.!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Shiva, are you planning to do this swap yourself ? I wonder how much the quote is from a tranny shop if you ever asked.

Alafoci, you did the swap yourself, correct ?

=dRe=

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
dude... you cant go to the dark side!!!!!!!!

stay true to the slushbox!

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Slushbox is crap unless ya got $3500 to put into it. Thats a lot of money just to 'stay tru'.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Say I've got an auto (zx3), and a manual (sedan), and I want to completely swap trannies so that the zx3 is manual and the sedan is auto... How difficult is that?

I wouldn't have to buy anything else right? I could just swap everything over? And if I switch out the key cylinders I don't even have to worry about the PATS problem, right? So I need zero additional parts?

For anyone who's done this, what is your skill level? And how long did it take? And has anyone actually gotten a price quote from a garage for the work?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may or may not abandon this dream. $$ issues have come up.

But I have noticed something about Diablo Chips that i'll post in another thread.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts