Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I have a 2002 Focus LX and I've noticed that lately my mileage has gotten worse. I was wondering if I need to do a tune up - plugs, wires, air filter and ??? I just had my local dealer replace the automatic transmission before my 35000 mile warranty was up - could that have a big impact on my mileage? I've heard that with the newer fuel injected cars a tune up includes a new O2 sensor, but how ofter are you suppost to change those? Your thoughts?

David

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
i dont know about the O2 sensors but you can change the fuel filter. that could help also.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Change the plugs and wires. Changing the 1st O2 isnt a bad idea either. I change mine every 50k, along with gear oil. (your auto is new so you shouldnt have to worry about this) Change the fuel filter if you havent yet.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Although I see it recommended on various sites, I've yet to hear an explanation as to how a restricted fuel filter could cause a reduction if fuel economy (performance? absolutely!) since it doesn't allow as much fuel to flow as it normally would. If anything, a restricted fuel filter should increase your mileage!

·
Registered
434 Posts
like other's have said...

plugs, wires, air filter, O2 sensors.

Those are the most common culprits of bad mileage. I would start with the cheapest (filter), swap it out, and see if you notice a change. Then again, with gas prices the way they are, it might be cheaper in the long run just to replace the whole batch and be done with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts