Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I installed a CAI, and well, my car seems to have very low RPMs while Idling.

Sometimes, when I pull up to a stop, the car will almost stall. My dad borrowed my car the other day and he said it stalled on him when he came to a stop. This is on a manual tranny. I have had the CAI in for about 1.5 months, and it has been doing this. Also, when I start the car, it revs up to 2,000 RPMs and slowly goes down from there.

Any ideas?

Maybe I should buy a GOOD CAI...

-=J=-

·
Registered
408 Posts
Can't help you with your idling problem, but with the high rev starts thats normal. I would assume that it is pretty cold where you live and when you have a cold start the engine revs higher than normal. And the colder it is the higher the revs. If it isn't cold where you live then I again don't know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a pic of my intake...

The high revs at start make sense, cause I live in Oregon, and it is pretty cold right now...

-=J=-

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
you dont have a CAI.. you have 'K&N slung on the end of the MAF ghetto style'.

its stalling because when you come to a stop the car gets a nice big gulp of 100+ degree air from the engine department and proptly dies. its less pronounced with an autotragic because the fluid in the torque convertor can keep it moving long enough to get past the stall, but with a manual it will promptly die.

get a real CAI or put the stock airbox back on with a K&N drop-in and the stalling will stop.

and yeah the high revs at startup is normal in cold weather. my car will rev to 2500 and sit there for about 5-10 seconds. i have cams and a rather loud exhaust. have actually had my dad run outside thinking my throttle has stuck open because it was so loud.

hehehe

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
What type of intake is it? What does it look like?

Does it relocate the MAF into the tubing, or is it retained in the stock fitting?

Make sure all fittings downstream of the MAF are tight, leaking air will cause the engine to run rich, thinking it is ingesting more air than it is.

If the MAF has been relocated to different diameter tubing, it will cause false readings, which could be causing the problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm not sure if this is related to your problem, but i have a CAI (aem) and it stalled twice today, I'm not quite sure what its problem is. The battery light came on first then it stalled, so maybe there's something going on with the battery or alternator, who knows....

·
Registered
408 Posts
Originally posted by sh0velman:
you dont have a CAI.. you have 'K&N slung on the end of the MAF ghetto style'.

its stalling because when you come to a stop the car gets a nice big gulp of 100+ degree air from the engine department and proptly dies. its less pronounced with an autotragic because the fluid in the torque convertor can keep it moving long enough to get past the stall, but with a manual it will promptly die.

get a real CAI or put the stock airbox back on with a K&N drop-in and the stalling will stop.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't think that is your problem. It very well could be but I have a similar intake (OBX shortram) and have not had any problems. I made a heatshield out of sheet metal which has helped, but I drove with out the shield for a couple months (incld. the summer) and had no problems. I am now going to buy the CAI from ebay which I recomend, but I don't know if that is the problem. Check and make sure the MAF is secured to the filter correctly because if its not then that will cause the car to stall (happened to me a couple times). It looks like it is so I don't know the problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My idling is aroung 750 rpm almost to the point of stalling with my CAI. Clean your maf and install again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I have a MAC #3223 shorty intake coming in the mail, so I will install that one...

Hopefully everything will work out...

Take a look at my pic above. Do you think my strut bar will still fit with the MAC intake?

Can you put a K&N cone filter on the MAC intake, or is the filter it comes with a good one?

-=J=-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts