Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Focus Mk1.5 1.6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've managed to get both front struts off my Mk1 Focus ready for the Coilover swap. However... one of the lower bolts for the drop links is stuck in the ARB. I've dowsed it in WD40 so I'm waiting for it to penetrate but holding the 17mm spanner on the 'half bolt' at the front is proving difficult and the 15mm bolt is in such an awkward place I can't get my impact driver in.

Anyone had this issue before? Any ideas on resolve? Should I just but a new ARB or is this more difficult to replace?

Thanks in advance.

·
I
13,452 Posts
Yeah, my first one was seized there too. One on the strut side, other side was seized on the ARB end. PB blaster for a day, wrench, and 1/2 impact, and mine just blew apart. It wasn't coming loose.

I look at the drop links as consumables, something I regularly change and they regularly go bad. I would get two new ones, even if the other comes off okay. Moog are decent, and greaseable, and inexpensive. Just cut the old one off (small cutoff wheel between the drop link and the ARB).

·
Registered
Focus Mk1.5 1.6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, my first one was seized there too. One on the strut side, other side was seized on the ARB end. PB blaster for a day, wrench, and 1/2 impact, and mine just blew apart. It wasn't coming loose.

I look at the drop links as consumables, something I regularly change and they regularly go bad. I would get two new ones, even if the other comes off okay. Moog are decent, and greaseable, and inexpensive. Just cut the old one off (small cutoff wheel between the drop link and the ARB).
Sounds like I'll be getting the grinder out then! Thanks for the info.

Glad you've mentioned Moog ones as they are the replacements I've already bought. Thought I'd do the whole lot including top mounts as I'm changing to coilovers. Might as well renew the whole lot whilst its out.

·
I
13,452 Posts
Sounds like I'll be getting the grinder out then! Thanks for the info.

Glad you've mentioned Moog ones as they are the replacements I've already bought. Thought I'd do the whole lot including top mounts as I'm changing to coilovers. Might as well renew the whole lot whilst its out.
Good stuff, and definitely agree on the top mounts too (most importantly, the bearings). Those also are wear items, and a good "while you're in there item" to replace.

·
Registered
Focus Mk1.5 1.6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good stuff, and definitely agree on the top mounts too (most importantly, the bearings). Those also are wear items, and a good "while you're in there item" to replace.
UPDATE - With some crafty manoeuvring and a jack I finally managed to get access to the stuck bolt with a breaker bar and 17mm spanner. Took some effort but its finally off. Just waiting for the top mounts and the front coilovers should be on tomorrow or Thursday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts