Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which catback will give the least obnoxious exhaust note; I do not want "ricey", raspy Honda sounds. I like the price of MBRP and Magnaflow, around $300-350. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I have the HKS Hiper Cat back.. probably the quietest sounding exhaust out there...

wait you have a ZTS dont you...well the HKS wont work then...

MPRP can be loud..dont know about the magnaflow..

either the Bosal or the FS "quiet" exhaust (larger resonator) would be my choices for a sedan

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Bosal all the way. Much more mellow and quiet than the others you mentioned.
Downright Sneaky at idle. Not too loud at cruising speed. Nice Rumble on throttle-off. Nice ROAR/Growl at WOT, reminiscent of a mid-'70's British Sportscar. Bosal Sounds most like the 4cyl equivalent of a modern Mustang GT exhaust-note. The quality is unbeatable, as is the customer service.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
If you want mellow then I'd recommend the magnaflow. I've heard most of them and so far it's the best sounding to me. A nice mellow purr similar to that of the old MGBGT's. Has absolutely no droning at any RPM. And the best part is that it does so with only one muffler.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
i have the MBRP and i think it has the best sound and fit/finish out there. it's very raspy, but it's very muscular sounding. nothing NOTHING like a hon-DUH.

everyone i know, car person or not, has given me nothing but
about the system. to name a few unlikely persons: mmy mom said "it's loud, but not in a bad way" my girlfriend "i want one" my non-car friend "it sounds kind of like a motorcycle (harley) it's wicked!" my muscle car loving friend "man, it doesn't even sound like a 4 banger, i love it!"

it's a bit loud around 2600-3200rpm and really raspy when you let off the pedal, but it's soooo sick sounding! check out www.mbrp.com the sound clips on there tell all.

Nate

·
Registered
362 Posts
Raspy doesn't begin to describe the MBRP. I it is loud
If that is your taste, then go for it. I was talking to someone yesterday who likes the exhaust but has had some quality issues with it (rust and other probs).

If you want mellow...do Bosal it is the most mellow. The Thermal isn't too bad either.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
We just installed a bosal on a car last weekend here at our g2g, the bosal is a sweet sounding system but it IS louder than the magnaflow as we had both system's here for a comparison.

·
Registered
452 Posts
PACESETTER cat back, its like $199, and quite but still has a growl to it, my friends got it and its the quietest but yet still noticable out of all of them.

·
Registered
742 Posts
i have just a quick question... is the bosal system louder than the stock one? (unfortunately, here in NH, the lawmakers have made just about any car mod illegal.)

this is what the NH law says about muffler noise:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xxi/266/266-59.htm

you'll have to forgive my utter ignorance about the subject... i know absolutely nothing about engines & exhausts and i only just started looking in the zetec tuning forum a few days ago.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Magnaflow or Bosal... From my experience the Bosal is a tiny bit louder, but they both have a mellow, deep tone.

I love my Magnaflow... draws no attention from anybody, especially after the tipectomy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is there anybody out there which has a sound clip of a stock exhaust with only the first resonator removed?
(I checked the sound clips on mbrp.com but it's too loud for me.)

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dan-d:
We just installed a bosal on a car last weekend here at our g2g, the bosal is a sweet sounding system but it IS louder than the magnaflow as we had both system's here for a comparison.<hr></blockquote>

Dan don't forget it has no cat either.
That accounts for alot of the noise.
Still love it though

·
Registered
362 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Focus-Wagon-driver:
Is there anybody out there which has a sound clip of a stock exhaust with only the first resonator removed?
<hr></blockquote>

Thats because it IS loud
The most mellow that I have heard are the Bosal and Thermal. Both are excellent exhausts and would suit your needs just fine

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Focus-Wagon-driver:
<hr></blockquote>

No, but I can tell you from personal experience that it really sounds pretty nasty. The biggest change is from 1-4kRPM, and above that the intake noise takes over. It is really monotone, and not really very pleasant to listen to at all. Not all that loud though.

Oh wait, that is with the REAR muffler removed.. Is that what you meant?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rob G:
i have just a quick question... is the bosal system louder than the stock one? (unfortunately, here in NH, the lawmakers have made just about any car mod illegal.)

this is what the NH law says about muffler noise:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xxi/266/266-59.htm
you'll have to forgive my utter ignorance about the subject... i know absolutely nothing about engines & exhausts and i only just started looking in the zetec tuning forum a few days ago.
<hr></blockquote>

The Bosal system is louder than stock, but not so much at idle or highway speeds as to draw attention.

[ 08-26-2002: Message edited by: michaelxi ]</p>

·
Registered
69 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> Oh wait, that is with the REAR muffler removed.. Is that what you meant?
<hr></blockquote>
Omni, I mean the muffler just before the rear axle not the one close to the tip.
So I guess you removed the muffler close to the tip?

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

Omni, I mean the muffler just before the rear axle not the one close to the tip.
So I guess you removed the muffler close to the tip?
<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that is the one I tried, can't speak for the other situation.

I still say
for a Magnaflow. Mine was $260 to my door back in the day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
what about the vibrant?? i love mine

1 - 20 of 39 Posts