Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
TEAM Sponsor
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just figured i'd ask if anyone has tried to stick a Torsen or Quaife in the Focus ATX tranny? I'm just taking the ATX apart on my bench now....and honestly.....it's seems like it will fit. Just wondering if anyone else tried? Thanx.

Clint

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
It's an entirely different transmission.

Will not work.

- Drew

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
no such thing on the ATX tranny...

they get flywheel, LSD, Clutch...

we get Tq Converter, Clutch packs, valve body

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Wont work. Just wont work. You might have a diff, doesnt mean the lsd will work. Tranny isnt the same at all internaly.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by focus_rs:
So all of you are saying this without trying? Come on! I know someone has, even if they have failed!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No.... you can't put it in there..... unless you replace your autox with a manual. The parts will not come together.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Originally posted by tdot-zx3:
How is this thread still going?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">no idea man, no idea.

<shakes head>

why don't you guys try a short shifter too? cuz you know, you still gotta shift from P to D, so its shifting, so maybe you can rig up a short shifter...

·
Registered
798 Posts
Originally posted by Jared:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by tdot-zx3:
How is this thread still going?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">no idea man, no idea.

<shakes head>

why don't you guys try a short shifter too? cuz you know, you still gotta shift from P to D, so its shifting, so maybe you can rig up a short shifter...

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
i'm new to fwd, but the way it works wtih an RWD car is there's a freakin diff, and there's a tranny, two mutually exclusive pieces but for the driveshaft in between, and waht goes on in the diff, whether it's a spool, LSD, or straight up open, has nothing to do with what kinda tranny is hooked up to it. So are you saying that the differentials attached to the trannys themselves are different? That doesn't make sense to me. But if that's it, the reason the Quaife or whoever else makes them won't fit isn't because of hte different transmission types but because of the differentials they're hooked up to.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by blueovalbaboon:
i'm new to fwd, but the way it works wtih an RWD car is there's a freakin diff, and there's a tranny, two mutually exclusive pieces but for the driveshaft in between, and waht goes on in the diff, whether it's a spool, LSD, or straight up open, has nothing to do with what kinda tranny is hooked up to it. So are you saying that the differentials attached to the trannys themselves are different? That doesn't make sense to me. But if that's it, the reason the Quaife or whoever else makes them won't fit isn't because of hte different transmission types but because of the differentials they're hooked up to.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">For comparison, the type of transmission also determines how much space you have to work with in the engine bay
The auto equipped Focus's Zetec is farther to the rights side and towards the back than a manual.

·
TEAM Sponsor
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by blueovalbaboon:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">He is stating my original point. First off, they use the same half shafts. Same splines and all. Spacing between the half shafts are the same. I've measured it. I have a ATX tranny sitting in front of me and the differential that came outta it looks VERY familiar. Not saying it's exactly the same. But it is DARN close....i'll tell you that. In all honesty, i don't appreciate people bashing ATX guys, just cause someone is trying to investigate into them. Look at the Honda ATX trannies. No one gave them any credit.....then someone found that the LSD fit in them. Now look at them.....most of the stick guys are kinda afraid of the built ATX's....because they are known to be killer in the 1/4. Before you speak....maybe you should think about what is coming out of your mouth. If people didn't try something....and listened to everyone else saying "NO!, it just won't work".....then we wouldn't have half the parts we do now. My $.03.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Originally posted by Winkty:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by blueovalbaboon:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">He is stating my original point. First off, they use the same half shafts. Same splines and all. Spacing between the half shafts are the same. I've measured it. I have a ATX tranny sitting in front of me and the differential that came outta it looks VERY familiar. Not saying it's exactly the same. But it is DARN close....i'll tell you that. In all honesty, i don't appreciate people bashing ATX guys, just cause someone is trying to investigate into them. Look at the Honda ATX trannies. No one gave them any credit.....then someone found that the LSD fit in them. Now look at them.....most of the stick guys are kinda afraid of the built ATX's....because they are known to be killer in the 1/4. Before you speak....maybe you should think about what is coming out of your mouth. If people didn't try something....and listened to everyone else saying "NO!, it just won't work".....then we wouldn't have half the parts we do now. My $.03.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Yeah...What he said!

·
Registered
694 Posts
My experience with FWD tranmissions is not with the Focus, it's with other cars, but I'll share. You're absolutely right saying that a FWD car has a diff just like a manual. It's all the same mechanically and all looks the same and works the same and all that. The problem is that due to packaging differences between the auto and the manual, the diff is physically different. Because of this the LSD for a manual won't work for an auto. It's like trying to put a LSD from a Honda in a Toyota, they both have diffs, they look pretty much alike, but they are different.
Having said that, some options like the phantom grip work inside a stock diff, they don't replace it. This MAY work with the auto diff, it's impossible to say without either trying it, or even better, calling phantom grip and asking. The quaife will not fit though, sorry.

·
TEAM Sponsor
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Much respect goes to Leadfoot/S2 for his unbelievable pioneer work!

I have been watching his progress for quite sometime.

Clint

[ 01-17-2003, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Winkty ]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts