Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is a problem or if it's considered a "common and normal" thing about th focus but my idle is very lumpy. This is EXTREMELY noticeable when I first start my car every morning. The idles goes back and forth between +- 650-750 RPM. The RPM needle doesn't move that much but I can definatly feel and hear it. It wasn't like that when I bought the car (used). It feels and sounds like it's trying very hard to keep up a steady rate but just can't. It never stalled though and doesn't feel like it will.

Any help is very appreciated.

·
Registered
729 Posts
mine kinda did that this morning,,,,,but it was cold so i just passed it off

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine was doing that, so I had the fuel pump replaced, and it doesn't do it quite as much as it use to, but I am also going to replace the spark plugs, and hopefully that will help a little also.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. A slight shudder at idle that would come and go, annoying enough because when the car was new it idled smooth as glass.

I put 4 new Motorcraft double-platinums in ($40.00 + tax) and gapped them to the 1.3mm spec under the hood. No difference.

The dealer replaced the LH upper motor mount and guess what, it seems to have worked. It's crazy, but the car also shifts smoother and there isn't as much 'engine roll' either.

Hey...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The motor mounts is one option ... also, a friend of mine mentioned it could be a small vacumm leak. Can someone help ???

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update ... I replaced my old worn spark plugs with 4 new Motorcraft double plats and gapped them to 0.05 and no difference in idle condition was noticed. I also changed my air filter and that helped just a little.

So I will try looking for a small vacuum leak somewhere and I'll see if I can clean my throttle body too and see if it helps. I'll post updates so maybe it can help others.

I'm also considering this motor mount thing or maybe a dirty or defective MAF. What are symptoms normally associaed with a broken motor mount, and a dirty/broken MAF? Please help.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I don't know if this is a problem or if it's considered a "common and normal" thing about th focus but my idle is very lumpy. This is EXTREMELY noticeable when I first start my car every morning. The idles goes back and forth between +- 650-750 RPM. The RPM needle doesn't move that much but I can definatly feel and hear it. It wasn't like that when I bought the car (used). It feels and sounds like it's trying very hard to keep up a steady rate but just can't. It never stalled though and doesn't feel like it will.

Any help is very appreciated.
Check for vacuum leaks

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
I improved my idle by accident this past weekend. I bought a new battery. I dont know why but the idle is REAL SMOOTH. then I replaced the PCV valve. idle is even smoother but now lower. gotta adjust the idle screw a little.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
One method to check for vacuum leaks-lightly spray w/WD-40 with the thin red hose around the intake tube and TB.
Also, like TXFO did, try resetting the computer and when you start the car after resetting, let it idle for about 15 minutes without touching the accelerator. That took care of a rough idle on my car.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Engine speed change at idle between 100 RPM's is ok and acceptable.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Engine speed change at idle between 100 RPM's is ok and acceptable.
Mine does it all the time.
The wierd thing is that it didn't do it when new.
I don't mind it too much, but whenever my wife drives my car, it Does drive Her Nuts!!

I just wonder what exactly IS Going On???

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Lump sat alone in a boggy marsh,
totally motionless except for her heart,
mud flowed up into Lump's pajamas,
she totally confused all the passing pirahnas!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts