Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the boards for quite some time now and still haven't found a solution. From a dead stop, if I put the pedal to the floor the car just sits there but the rpms bounce from idle to about 1500. Very dangerous pulling out onto a busy street. Any ideas what would cause this? I'm thinking either an issue with the TPS or the aftermarket TB(see sig for mods). Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm almost positive that it's a leak somewhere in the air intake. When I went for my first drive to test out my turbo the intercooler piping popped out of the gromets and caused the same symptoms as what you are describing. for you it's probably not too bad of a leak because with mine my whole car stalled and would not start. so my advice would be to check for leaks in the intake maybe the gromet on the filter or the one connected to the throttle body isn't connected right, or maybe even the tb itself has a leak.

·
That one was just me not paying attention....and s
7,509 Posts
I would check where the throttle body mounts to the Intake manifold. and check all of your vacuum lines. I had problems with the hose that goes from the PCV valve to the back of the intake, the hose got soft and was collapsing where it goes into the intake manifold. It also could be the TPS...but I would definately check for leaks first...mainly the TB...im almost positive thats what it is from your description.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what's a good way to check for leaks? just inspect the lines for cracks or what?

·
7,509 Posts
you could do the old fashioned spray carb cleaner near it and if the idle comes up you have a leak. Or you could just take off the TB and put a new gasket on with a think bead oc silicon on both sides of the gasket.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hey man, it could be more then your TB it could be your trany you said you have an 2000 ztec with an atuo tranny, you might have some slipage in the tranny due to high milage(i am asuming that you have higher milage since its a 2000), maybe get that checked out, did you ever get all of you ford factory recalls done? i had a recall for problems with the fuel pump and my car would start rev up but wouldent go any where b/c it wasent getting any gas. all i am saying is it might be more then you think, just go to a shop and get it cheked out

·
7,509 Posts
good call on both of those

·
Registered
565 Posts
yea, it happend to my old 02 zx3 with auto thats why i traded it in for an 03 5spd

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
all recalls have been completed..including the fuel pump. If the tranny was slipping, wouldn't it be noticeable other than just moving from a dead stop? the gasket b/t the tb and intake mani is brand new, i also laid a bead of rtv between em...

·
Registered
565 Posts
sorry bro, but i cant think of any thing else, i havent changed my TB yet so i really know nothing about that, maybe your best bet is just to take it to a shop and get it checked out, its going to cost you but it might solve you problem, good luck

·
7,509 Posts
all I can say is check your vacuum lines...over and over again...if you have a leak in the more critical hoses the car will do funny things...check the EGR hoses, PCV valve...try changing it..its only $3, fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, the wiring harness that goes into your coil (those wires break). Do everything. But I am almost 90% positive that its a vacuum leak

1 - 12 of 12 Posts