Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully installed a MAC UPD yet? Can you confirm the part number on the belt? I have AC.

I was unable to get the belt to fit and had to put the original back on. I had the belt tensioner maxed over trying to get the belt on, and still too short. As you can see in the attached pics, with the MAC and OEM units side by side, the OEM unit has a longer belt.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
If the MAC UDP is smaller than the stock unit, then the belt WILL be shorter.

Knowing where the belt tensioner does help though.

·
Banned
227 Posts
This isnt a deffiant answer, but hey it's some info.

The last pulley is always hard to do, especially when you're doing it by yourself wrestling with the pulley tensioner with one hand and tring to stretch a unstreatchable belt over a pulley with the other hand.

But seeing that you have a friend around, I doupt that's the problem. But dont worry if you have to 'stretch' it a bit to get it over the last pulley.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the MAC belt should be shorter than the OEM belt (and it is) - but only short enough to make up for the difference in the pulleys. As you can see in the pics, I have the pulleys side by side on a dowel, and the OEM belt has much more slack.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I had this problem when installing my MAC UDP too. What I did is go to local autoparts shop and buy a longer belt compared to the MAC belt. If I am not mistaken, the size is about between stock belt and MAC belt. It works fine for nearly 7 months now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
pull on the belt tensioner as hard as you can to you give enough space to slip on the belt. You don't need a new belt that belt is just perfect, its the belt tensioner that makes it difficult. if still doesn't work then I guess you can go to a shop and a longer belt or have them install it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback and ideas. When I was attempting the install, I had the tensioner all the way against the "bump stop". It seemed like a rotation of at least 90 degrees. Man that was a tough spring! Anyway, at full stretch, I was barely past the centerline of the last pulley, so even when I started at an edge, it just wouldn't go.

The vendor I am working with on this one had a great idea. He is going to compare the belt length with the one from the Ford Racing kit. They should be the same since the pulley diameter is the same.

If I want to go to the autoparts store for a replacement, is there a specific part number, or just go in with the other belt in hand amd compare?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I just went in the shop with the stock and MAC belts and compare.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I heard back from the vendor. All of his MAC belts are not the same size even though they are the same part number. If you are installing one of these, make sure and compare the belt length with the OEM before attempting install.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got around to re-doing the MAC UPD install after getting a proper length belt. The install went much better. It was still a bit of a stretch, but not impossible.

In this pic you can see three belts pulled against a dowel. The longest with the blue writing is the OEM. The one in the middle is a Kelly Springfield 817K6. This one appears to be the right one for the MAC pulley. It is the same as Goodyear 4060817, but about half the price. The MAC belt is on the right and is clearly the shortest.

Notice that the MAC belt also has an 817 on it. The MAC belt and the KS belt are almost identical. The grooves on the MAC belt are slightly deeper/wider. The KS belt may also be slightly thicker. I saw the Goodyear belt at the store and it looks much different. It is a Gatorback belt with ridges cut across the grooves.

Anyway, the next pic shows the OEM and KS belts on the pullys. It is almost an exact match. If anything the KS may be alittle longer.

This one shows the MAC and OEM on the pullys and here again you can see the MAC is shorter.

A couple of other items on the install. I bought a $3 13mm box end wrench about a foot long. This enabled me to crank over the tensioner to max and zip tie it to the axle leaving both hands free to work the belt.

The other thing about the MAC pulley is that it must sit a little closer to the engine because there is a plastic guard that rubs against the belt. A properly placed screw driver snaps off just enough of the guard to clear the belt. I forgot to take a picture of this - oh well.

The other thing about the MAC pulley is since the inside of it is painted, it doesn't quite fit over the crank until you sand off the paint.

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't get the MAC pulley, but if you get the right belt it should work fine. I just like it better when things go smoothly since I'm a novice wrencher.

I haven't GTECH'ed it yet, but there is a slightly noticible increase after doing this mod. The engine feels revvier especially in the low to mid range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts