Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months back I drove my car from KS to KY and went through a couple huge thunderstorms. My car was bogging down severly after driving through the rain and wouldn't stay started at a stop. All I had on it at the time was a SR intake. Since then my car is extremely lethargic at low speeds and the tranny shifts extremely rough and kind of clunks into gear while driving around town slowly (under 30mph)It also shifts very slowly at WOT. I had my tranny looked at several times under warranty and they couldn't find ANYTHING wrong with it (so they claim) so i'm now leaning towards something being wrong in my engine. My MAF sensor is kind of beat up looking and the insulation on some of the wires is fried due to heat. I know that is not a good thing but would a MAF sensor malfunctioning cause these particular symptoms? I tried replacing it once with an aftermarket "performance tuned" one and it wouldn't even run. Right now I have a scramon demon coil pack, focussport wires, SR intake and a performance chip and I still have the same problems. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
your cold air intake could have sucked water up, not sure what kind of damage that would do to the maf tho. if the wires leading to the maf are frayed, wrap the wires in electical tape so they don't short out.

you can get some electronic safe cleaner from a hardware store and clean the maf sensor. it is common for it to get dirty from water maybe but more common is to get oil on it when reoiling the cotton-gauze filters. either way if its dirty, the engine might run rough, bog or otherwise run poorly.

not sure about your transmission, unless it is shifty badly because the engine is running rough...no idea, autos ain't my thing

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
your cold air intake could have sucked water up
All I had on it at the time was a SR intake.
I'm going out on a limb and guessing that by "SR" he meant "short ram", which mean that if he ingested water, he's got a hell of a lot more problems than that.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
i looked at his profile, where he lists under modifications a CAI, said it in case SR is some kind of brand

made the leap of logic on the bit that he was driving in a thunderstorm when said problem occured.

regardless he can attempt to clean the maf no matter how it got dirty if that is the problem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car runs fine, idles smoothly under normal conditions. The tranny just shifts a lot more sluggishly and roughly than i'd like at slow speeds and takes forever inbetween shifts at WOT. I really don't think there is internal engine damage because it starts right up and runs fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts